Problems dvi-d extension cord

sq10

Honorable
Jul 10, 2013
Hey guys,

I'm trying to run two 5 meters dvi-d extension cords from my pc to my monitor. I noticed the female bits on the extension cords are dvi-i however.

Initially things show up fine, my motherboard logo and the 'starting windows' message work, but the login screen flickers and has saturated bloom.

Safe mode works without issue, uninstalled video card drivers, rebooted, windows worked (at 800x600). Tried setting the resolution to 1980x1020 and it automatically went back to 800x600. Tried reinstalling video card drivers, rebooted, same flicker/bloom problem.

Could it be the female dvi-i connectors on the extension cords? Could it be the fact that I have 2 extensiom cords?

It seems strange to me that safe mode and such work fine but with proper drivers things fall apart :/

Solution
Safe mode works because it's a lower resolution (less bandwidth needed).

DVI-I doesn't matter. DVI-I is a superset of DVI-D. It contains extra wires which aren't being used with your DVI-D setup.

The problem is almost certainly your cable length. The maximum spec DVI cable length is 4.5 meters. And that's for a single continuous cable (2 interfaces). You're using two extensions, so you have 6 interfaces with signal degradation at each interface.

You can try buying a 4.5 m max-spec DVI cable. Or you can try a DVI booster/extender to boost the signal.

https://www.amazon.com/Tripp-Lite-Equalizer-2560x1600-B120-000/dp/B000N5WNJI

If the video card and monitor support HDMI, you can try an HDMI cable instead. Those typically work...
Safe mode works because it's a lower resolution (less bandwidth needed).

DVI-I doesn't matter. DVI-I is a superset of DVI-D. It contains extra wires which aren't being used with your DVI-D setup.

The problem is almost certainly your cable length. The maximum spec DVI cable length is 4.5 meters. And that's for a single continuous cable (2 interfaces). You're using two extensions, so you have 6 interfaces with signal degradation at each interface.

You can try buying a 4.5 m max-spec DVI cable. Or you can try a DVI booster/extender to boost the signal.

https://www.amazon.com/Tripp-Lite-Equalizer-2560x1600-B120-000/dp/B000N5WNJI

If the video card and monitor support HDMI, you can try an HDMI cable instead. Those typically work over much longer distances, and there are active cables available (signal booster is built into the cable).

Solution