Problems galaxy s 4g in Opensuse 12.1

Status
Not open for further replies.

Fenrir190

Distinguished
Jun 9, 2011
First off loving the new opensuse, I see why people keep going on about kde. I've managed to figure out how to solve every other issue i was having from unresponsive volume control to the gfx driver installation. But I have a problem remaining with getting my phone detected in usb mode. Every other device I normally use with linux os have no problems being detected. Could there be some type of driver needed?

Solution
All of the Android devices that I've played with will have applications running as root (and therefore, if the underlying FS supports it, the files are owned by root as well). POSIX systems will honor user designations from other remote systems (in this case, the phone's designations from Android itself). All POSIX systems that have the idea of a "root" user designate the UID 0 to root, hence there is some level of security that travels with the file no matter where it goes.

I have a feeling, however, that is a fun aside from the issue you're seeing (since these devices are meant to plug into any machine and be accessible, methinks what's being mounted is FAT32), in which case it's some issue with the automounting support that's built...

Fenrir190

Distinguished
Jun 9, 2011
Dec 16 06:53:37 FabulaNovaCrystallis udevd[7591]: timeout: killing '/sbin/blkid -o udev -p /dev/sde' [7655]
Dec 16 06:53:38 FabulaNovaCrystallis udevd[7591]: timeout: killing '/sbin/blkid -o udev -p /dev/sde' [7655]
Dec 16 06:53:39 FabulaNovaCrystallis udevd[7591]: timeout: killing '/sbin/blkid -o udev -p /dev/sde' [7655]
Dec 16 06:53:40 FabulaNovaCrystallis udevd[7591]: timeout: killing '/sbin/blkid -o udev -p /dev/sde' [7655]
Dec 16 06:53:41 FabulaNovaCrystallis udevd[7591]: timeout: killing '/sbin/blkid -o udev -p /dev/sde' [7655]
Dec 16 06:53:42 FabulaNovaCrystallis udevd[7591]: timeout: killing '/sbin/blkid -o udev -p /dev/sde' [7655]
Dec 16 06:53:43 FabulaNovaCrystallis udevd[7591]: timeout: killing '/sbin/blkid -o udev -p /dev/sde' [7655]
Dec 16 06:53:44 FabulaNovaCrystallis udevd[7591]: timeout: killing '/sbin/blkid -o udev -p /dev/sde' [7655]
Dec 16 06:53:45 FabulaNovaCrystallis udevd[7591]: timeout: killing '/sbin/blkid -o udev -p /dev/sde' [7655]
Dec 16 06:53:46 FabulaNovaCrystallis udevd[7591]: timeout: killing '/sbin/blkid -o udev -p /dev/sde' [7655]

guess this confirms my thoughts.

Fenrir190

Distinguished
Jun 9, 2011
I went ahead and changed back to fedora 15... For some odd reason when looking into it further my phone is owned by root... Currently looking into to how to permanently change that back.

bmouring

Distinguished
May 6, 2006
All of the Android devices that I've played with will have applications running as root (and therefore, if the underlying FS supports it, the files are owned by root as well). POSIX systems will honor user designations from other remote systems (in this case, the phone's designations from Android itself). All POSIX systems that have the idea of a "root" user designate the UID 0 to root, hence there is some level of security that travels with the file no matter where it goes.

I have a feeling, however, that is a fun aside from the issue you're seeing (since these devices are meant to plug into any machine and be accessible, methinks what's being mounted is FAT32), in which case it's some issue with the automounting support that's built into the version of Fedora you're using. I'd start by barking up that tree and see if someone else has run into a similar problem (FAT32 partition of an Android auto-mounted by Fedora in a way that's preventing access by Joe Linuxuser) and, more importantly, what solution they've come across. I mean I could offer a solution that'll work on any Linux out there, but it's neither pretty nor permanent.

Solution

Fenrir190

Distinguished
Jun 9, 2011

As always a helpful response. The card in the phone(expanded memory card) is fat32. I'm too much of a coward to actually mess with my phone like that since there's so much important stuff on it(which doesn't make sense since I'm making a backup). What I did do however was install first reinstall fedora 15, everything worked perfectly. Couldn't get use to gnome 3 and fedora 15's kde was overly buggy so I installed fedora 14 back on, everything worked flawlessly. Realizing I need something that is still getting support I installed opensuse 11.x, no problems whatsoever from the device. Under opensuse 12.1 and the first fedora 15 install I did notice that when trying to mount the device whenever suse force quit the mounting then later re-mounted the device, I found that older version of the device were still mounted. I don't know, maybe it was a problem with that version of suse. Thanks for the suggestion bmouring, if I get a new phone(which I probably will later on) I'll reformat the disk. Of course I'll back it up first :D

Status
Not open for further replies.