Question Problems installing Windows 10 on Acer Aspire

mtm5062

Reputable
Jul 31, 2019
I have an old Acer Aspire M5-581T(G) laptop that is from 2012. It has 6 GB RAM and an i5 Processor, so I figured I would be able to thrown an SSD in and get it up and working again fast.
I have tried 4 SSD hard drives and they are all failing so it is not a bad SSD. I have been getting errors similar to "windows couldn't create a new partition 0x80042556". It also wont let me use diskpart to format the SSD because it keeps failing. I am able to format the SSDs in another computer but when I load it into the Acer it says it is 0.0MB when it should be 465GB. Is there anything else I can do or is it a bad board? I also removed the 20GB Cache SSD because I thought that was causing the problem. Any help would be appreciated.

Jul 27, 2019
"windows couldn't create a new partition 0x80042556"

Walk through it pretty much explains everything.

https://appuals.com/fix-we-couldnt-create-a-new-partition-or-locate-an-existing-one/
i tested this on an old laptop i was experiencing the same issue with (i did install windows on it a while ago on an external ssd, which worked fine, but i reinstalled the hard drive just to test this), and it worked for me. thanks dude, couldn't have found that article without your help.

Last edited:

mtm5062

Reputable
Jul 31, 2019
If I install Windows 10 on an external hard drive then wouldn't I always have to have the hard drive plugged into the USB port for it to boot up and work? I would rather have in internally like it came from the factory.

I tried everything in that article and it still does not work. Any ideas?

Jul 27, 2019
If I install Windows 10 on an external hard drive then wouldn't I always have to have the hard drive plugged into the USB port for it to boot up and work? I would rather have in internally like it came from the factory.

I tried everything in that article and it still does not work. Any ideas?
did you do everything right? it did work for me..