Problems loading Vista

JacqueR

Honorable
Nov 22, 2013
I have a Satelitte L305 and it wont load up Vista..It says windows starting but nothing happens. I dont have the cd to reboot. Startup repair wont repair and I've tried all diagnostics on there. Any help would be appreciated.
Thanks
Jacque

Solution

At 4 years i already have a new SSD waiting for replacement :p. it really sounds like a failed HDD. You can at least install Linux for free, or just use a LiveCD to access important files? im no linux expert but i know its for the more tech savvy

after you press power, and the screen is black, but BEFORE youd normally see Windows start to load, hit F8 on your keyboard rapidly..try booting into safe mode. IF it hangs there too, id say it sounds like a failing HDD or corrupt install files. how old is the laptop/hdd inside?

At 4 years i already have a new SSD waiting for replacement :p. it really sounds like a failed HDD. You can at least install Linux for free, or just use a LiveCD to access important files? im no linux expert but i know its for the more tech savvy

Solution

Sometimes delete and spacebar can get you into the BIOS. try holding
f1,2,3,4 but acutally holding it down as you turn on your device. with all possible combinations, if you take it somewhere youll find its probably a better idea to invest in a new computer!

IF you get into the BIOS, and change the boot priority to make the CD drive first or USB, you might open some windows to getting your pictures off the drive and onto a backup CD, USB or external HDD! theres a lot of free software and good tutorials out there on how to do that kind of stuff, with linux too (a liveCD wont wipe off your hdd, it will run on the CD itself.)

JacqueR

Honorable
Nov 22, 2013
I ran a CHKDSK in bios..took about 18 hours and at times I thought it had crashed, but it was fixing bad clusters! It finished and restarted computer and i am in the process of taking off all my pics and documents.I will reformat computer back to factory settings!