Problems making windows 10 boot usb

ethanlt

Prominent
Feb 4, 2018
Ok so i ordered all my pc parts for my very first build there coming in the mail, so my problem is in the meantime was i was trying to make my usb windows drive to install an OS when the parts are here and its put together, for the record i have an ancient Athlon x2 215 at the moment to work with, plugged the drive in and formatted it made sure it was empty, went to Microsoft store and did the the whole media creation tool onto a usb for a new system and right as it went to finish it said it failed to complete the download, i didnt give up went to do it again but its now saying 32gb of the 64gb on the usb are gone and im wandering did it go through? should i try to use the usb when the parts come in the mail? did i f*** it up in some unexplainable way? help

Windows 10 media creation tool uses FAT32 format. If you created the Windows 10 setup USB on either Windows XP, Vista & 7 then it will not format greater than 32GB partition as FAT32.
After you are done Installing windows 10 you could use Disk Management to delete the volume and re-format using NTFS and regain your lost space.

I am concerned about the error you got, which could indicate that the Windows 10 installation media creation was not successful.
Could you try with another USB flash drive with less capacity.

ethanlt

Prominent
Feb 4, 2018

I actually did format it to FAT32 before doing so, also my pc came with windows 7 but a few months ago i upgraded to windows 10. The weirdest thing being that it was a 64gb drive and now its a 32gb, when i checked the drive theres no files in it at all, says its empty vut has cut the storage space in half

You should allow the media creation tool to format the drive. If it is empty then it failed to copy the installation files into the USB flash drive.
Like I previously said, you could restore the missing space by deleting the 32GB volume and formatting the drive back to NTFS file system using Disk Management. You don't see the hidden unallocated space but it is there.

ethanlt

Prominent
Feb 4, 2018

Alright ima try that n get back to you, thanks for the quick reply

ethanlt

Prominent
Feb 4, 2018

ok so i reformated the usb to original state as instructed tried again and got the same message but i paid closer attention to the download, it gets past the initial download screen then past the verifying download screen, gets to 50% download on the "creating windows creation tool" screen and then this is the exact message i get-"there was a problem running this too! we're not sure what happened but we're unable to run this tool on your pc, if you continue experiencing problems reference error code 0x80042405 - 0xA001A.

Feb 20, 2019
Ok so i ordered all my pc parts for my very first build there coming in the mail, so my problem is in the meantime was i was trying to make my usb windows drive to install an OS when the parts are here and its put together, for the record i have an ancient Athlon x2 215 at the moment to work with, plugged the drive in and formatted it made sure it was empty, went to Microsoft store and did the the whole media creation tool onto a usb for a new system and right as it went to finish it said it failed to complete the download, i didnt give up went to do it again but its now saying 32gb of the 64gb on the usb are gone and im wandering did it go through? should i try to use the usb when the parts come in the mail? did i f*** it up in some unexplainable way? help
try this video ,download links included
View: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=t7LhrZU05MY&feature=youtu.be