Problems starting Windows 10 Preview

Person548

Reputable
Dec 23, 2014
I've seen that you can get Windows 10 Preview and I thought i'd try that out.

Using http://windows.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/preview-iso-update?ocid=tp_site_downloadpage I installed the English(United Kingdom) 64 bit and transferred it onto a disc. I then placed it into the computer and started it up

Mind you this computer hasn't had any other Operating Systems before. On the startup screen it says 'Reboot and Select proper Boot device or Insert Boot Media in selected Boot device and press a key.

I restart the computer and press the del key. Yet anything I go on in this section can't find the disc containing Windows 10 preview.

One message I receive is 'Media Not Found Please plug in USB media and press ENTER to try again.

Solution

Right. That will not work. It won't boot of just the ISO file.

In your preferred burning software, there should be an option for "Burn ISO image to disk" or similar wording.
That will create a bootable DVD which will work.

Person548

Reputable
Dec 23, 2014

I'm guessing this is where I went wrong- I downloaded the file then dragged it into the disc. It then burned it and ejected it. I then placed it into the computer from their.

USAFRet

Titan

Right. That will not work. It won't boot of just the ISO file.

In your preferred burning software, there should be an option for "Burn ISO image to disk" or similar wording.
That will create a bootable DVD which will work.

Solution

Person548

Reputable
Dec 23, 2014

Okay. On my new disc i've placed the ISO file inside, I then right click on this file and the only burn option is 'Burn "Untitled DVD"...' It then says 'Are you sure you want to burn the contents of "Untitled DVD" to disc?' From their I can choose disc name, burn speed and Save burn folder to. Should I just name it ISO and proceed?

USAFRet

Titan

You start with the ISO file living on your hard drive
What application are you using to do this?

Person548

Reputable
Dec 23, 2014

I'm just on finder on mac currently.

USAFRet

Titan

Ah. I have little knowledge of Mac applications.
But whatever choices exist in there to Burn the ISO to disk. Not just copy the single ISO file.