[SOLVED] Problems while installing 2x8 and 2x4 GB of RAM!?

Status
Not open for further replies.

aleeenaieee

Prominent
Feb 25, 2020
I'd like to have 24 GB of ram. I tried and it worked for 20 minutes or so and it started crashing, I've then updated BIOS and it would not work afterwards (it would not POST)? SIzes only differ here *(Kingston 8GB 2666 MHz DDR4, KVR26N19S8/8 CL=19 - Kingston 4GB 2666 MHz DDR4, KVR26N19S6/4 CL=19), Can I have stable machine with usable RAM?

Solution
I gave up on this, diagnostics told me it has an error so I gave up I don't want to fry my machine.
I think I got it working I had to lower speed to 2400 MHz and it all got read majestirely
9IxD1q5.jpg
I'd like to have 24 GB of ram. I tried and it worked for 20 minutes or so and it started crashing, I've then updated BIOS and it would not work afterwards (it would not POST)? SIzes only differ here *(Kingston 8GB 2666 MHz DDR4, KVR26N19S8/8 CL=19 - Kingston 4GB 2666 MHz DDR4, KVR26N19S6/4 CL=19), Can I have stable machine with usable RAM?
Which motherboard do you have?
To have RAM working properly, you should install them in matching pairs from a RAM kit. Unless you have a triple channel motherboard.
RAM should have the same timings and voltages.
Mixing RAM that have not been tested to work together will yield unpredictable outcomes.

Reactions: aleeenaieee

aleeenaieee

Prominent
Feb 25, 2020
I have Gigabyte AB350 DS3H V2 motherboard. Yes, it is installed in the right slots. No, I do not have a triple channel MBU. I am pretty sure. like 99% sure, that these have exactly the same timings and voltages. It did worked for 20 minutes before updating BIOS which proceeded with no POST.

Did that, it would not post or is reading 24 GB of RAM but only 16 usable.
How hard do you need to push down for the latches to click in? It may be that you are not installing the modules in the slots properly if you sometime get posts with 24GB or only 16GB and it's also possible either the CPU has a bent or broken pin or the motherboard has a broken trace on the memory slots.

How did you get to 24GB?
That's 8GB + 4GB =12GB
Do you have two 8GB modules and two 4GB modules?

I have Gigabyte AB350 DS3H V2 motherboard. Yes, it is installed in the right slots. No, I do not have a triple channel MBU. I am pretty sure. like 99% sure, that these have exactly the same timings and voltages. It did worked for 20 minutes before updating BIOS which proceeded with no POST.
Your motherboard has a Dual Channel Memory architecture and it does support RAM of the
same capacity, brand, speed and chips in pairs...on either socket 1 & 2 (2nd and 4th from CPU) or 3 & 4 (1st and 3rd from CPU)
It does not support 3 RAM sticks.

If you install pairs of different capacity it might not work or might just run in single channel mode.

Did that, it would not post or is reading 24 GB of RAM but only 16 usable.
A sure sign that your memory modules are NOT matched pairs. Unless they were packaged together in the same package, and labeled as a pair (2 x 4GB or 2 x 8GB) they are not guaranteed to work together. Even if each package is matched there is no guarantee that two kits, of different sizes, will work together.

aleeenaieee

Prominent
Feb 25, 2020
A sure sign that your memory modules are NOT matched pairs. Unless they were packaged together in the same package, and labeled as a pair (2 x 4GB or 2 x 8GB) they are not guaranteed to work together. Even if each package is matched there is no guarantee that two kits, of different sizes, will work together.
OK, at least I had 30 minutes of gaming on 24 gb before I got blue screen if nothing hey I got 16 gigs now,

I have 2x8 and 2x4 Gigs, I have to mentioned that it worked until I got blue screen.
It worked until all RAM modules were accessed and at that moment the differences came apparent.

Just wondering is it possible to make it work with XMP, clocks?
You might be able to get it to work if you manually set compatible timings and voltages with both RAM sets in the BIOS.
Just enabling XPM won't do the trick.
It will be a trial an error type of task.
You will try different timings (maybe loosing them) besides the 19-19-19 and voltages between 1.2v-1.35.
Half of the time enabling XPM and just raising the voltage to 1.35 do the trick.
But, I have never tried Kingston Value RAM on a Ryzen motherboard.

aleeenaieee

Prominent
Feb 25, 2020
Ok, I have opted to continue with this project just because it is not letting me sleep through the night, anyway so I have everything installed, all 4 dimms, reads 24 gb of ram but it also says 16 gb is usable?

boju

Titan
Ambassador
Because Ryzen relies heavily on ram stability, matched pairs is recommended. Can try mix them in different ways, adding more voltage, changing timings etc. Results will vary from a small chance of success to a portion not usable or all usable but not stable / bsod.

From manual

When enabling Dual Channelmode with two or four memory modules, it is recommended that memory of the same capacity, brand, speed, and chips be used. For optimum performance, when enabling Dual Channel mode with two memory modules, we recommend that you install them in the DDR4_1 and DDR4_2 sockets.

aleeenaieee

Prominent
Feb 25, 2020
Because Ryzen relies heavily on ram stability, matched pairs is recommended. Can try mix them in different ways, adding more voltage, changing timings etc. Results will vary from a small chance of success to a portion not usable or all usable but not stable / bsod.

From manual

When enabling Dual Channelmode with two or four memory modules, it is recommended that memory of the same capacity, brand, speed, and chips be used. For optimum performance, when enabling Dual Channel mode with two memory modules, we recommend that you install them in the DDR4_1 and DDR4_2 sockets.
I gave up on this, diagnostics told me it has an error so I gave up I don't want to fry my machine.

I have game benchmarked for the last 6 hours and no blue screen or error or crashing reported I think everything is good to go.
It could be, lets hope so...but to make sure the problems won't arise, the bench test must load up the RAM available capacity. A AIDA bench will do that.

Yes it works fine now, BattleNet bugged something.
Well now you have an idea what it takes to try to make mismatched RAM to work tandem.
Lowering speed, playing with the voltage and timings.
By the way, if you do not need 24GB, you could just work with the 16GB kit at higher speed.

Status
Not open for further replies.

TRENDING THREADS