[SOLVED] Problems with a TP Link Archer AX1500

KHL

Reputable
Mar 2, 2019
Just set up an Archer AX 10, poor internet speed response. Using it on a Windows 10 64 bit PC.

Hardware Version: Archer AX1500 v1.20

Firmware Version:1.1.1 Build 20201116 Rel. 57075(5553) Latest firmware was installed.

Using a 5g wifi link. to Speednet, only 40 MB down loads. Ethernet through Speednet shows 450 MB downloads.

PC is only a few feet from the router.

Signal strength is strong .

Wifi status in Windows 10 shows 866.7 Mpbs.

Qas is turned off.

Nothing in knowledge base describes this situation.

Solution
wifi6 is actually fairly new and problems are expected. TPlink is above average when it comes to support. The support from so called "value" vendors say like belkin or buffalo is a much larger risk when you are chasing new technology.
I guess the good news is wifi6e is just a extra radio frequency all the fancy technical stuff is same as wifi6 so there should not be a lot of new problems when wifi6e is more available say this summer.
What nic do you have in your pc. It appears your pc does not have a wifi6 card. For some reason mixing 802.11ac and 802.11ax does not perform as well. They say it should all be backward compatible but people have found performance issues.
Most of this was blamed on wifi6 being new and it "should" have been fixed. Not sure, about the time I was really thinking about buying wifi6 stuff the fcc approved the 6g band for wifi6e so I figured why buy obsolete tech.

The 866 number generally means you are running a 2x2 mimo 802.11ac. Many people get just under 300mbps with that. It maybe that you have a strong source of interference. Try changing the radio channels. This can be tricky on wifi6 routers sometimes because they are attempting to use 160mhz of bandwidth. You could force it back to 80mhz. You would then have 2 channel blocks, one near 40 and the other near 150. There are all kinds of strange rules when you try to use 160mhz channels, many times the router must reduce the tranmit power to 100mw rather than the more standard 1watt depending on which channels.

KHL

Reputable
Mar 2, 2019
On reflection, I made a huge mistake in buying a TP-Link AX series router. The company's support forums are full of messages from people who have encountered unsolvable problems with the AX-series routers. It's obvious that anyone considering those routers should consider them to be defective products. Add my experience with a hilariously incompetent "support" representative and it's best to give TP-Link products a wide berth.

What nic do you have in your pc. It appears your pc does not have a wifi6 card. For some reason mixing 802.11ac and 802.11ax does not perform as well. They say it should all be backward compatible but people have found performance issues.
Most of this was blamed on wifi6 being new and it "should" have been fixed. Not sure, about the time I was really thinking about buying wifi6 stuff the fcc approved the 6g band for wifi6e so I figured why buy obsolete tech.

The 866 number generally means you are running a 2x2 mimo 802.11ac. Many people get just under 300mbps with that. It maybe that you have a strong source of interference. Try changing the radio channels. This can be tricky on wifi6 routers sometimes because they are attempting to use 160mhz of bandwidth. You could force it back to 80mhz. You would then have 2 channel blocks, one near 40 and the other near 150. There are all kinds of strange rules when you try to use 160mhz channels, many times the router must reduce the tranmit power to 100mw rather than the more standard 1watt depending on which channels.

wifi6 is actually fairly new and problems are expected. TPlink is above average when it comes to support. The support from so called "value" vendors say like belkin or buffalo is a much larger risk when you are chasing new technology.
I guess the good news is wifi6e is just a extra radio frequency all the fancy technical stuff is same as wifi6 so there should not be a lot of new problems when wifi6e is more available say this summer.

Solution