Problems with Asus A7V133

G

Ok so i read tom's recent mb review, and WoW, there's a flash available for my bios. So i go to asus' site, d/l it, and, wow! the file has a diff. model number than my bios, so it wont flash. Whats up with this?? it's the 1002a1 and my bios is currently 1001c . anyone else have this problem?

JustPlainJef

Splendid
Feb 20, 2001
Why are you flashing the BIOS so early? I installed my A7V133 last night and everything went fine. Get it up and running and then, if you feel the need, flash it, but you probably don't want to use the newest latest greatest BIOS out there, unless you hear from people here that it is OK. But unless you have a problem, leave the BIOS and get the PC running.

What's a signature? Oh, those words that show up after all my comments? I don't need one of those!

Tempus

Distinguished
Jan 8, 2001
Download the 1002 bios revision from their site. Just as Tom showed in his article, the new bios revisions helped the performance so much that not only did it take the benchmarks crown, but also it beat some mb by over 15fps!

- "That's no moon, it's Rambus!"

G

I've had this board running for 3 weeks. Perhaps you failed to read what i posted. I SAID that the update file FROM ASUS'S WEB PAGE has a diff. model number than what my bios has, so it won't flash. How was tom able to flash his asus boards? I certainly cant get it to work for mine.

stable

Distinguished
Feb 13, 2001
The BIOS model number is nothing more than the revisionary status of firmware loaded onto the chip. Thus, the 1002 BIOS will flash if you use the correct procedures.

The latest BIOS revision for the A7V133 is Version 1003. It is available from the Asus Germany web site at the below address:
ftp://ftp.asuscom.de/pub/ASUSCOM/BIOS/Socket_A/VIA_Chipset/Apollo_KT133A/A7V133/

To correctly flash you will need to perform the below procedures.

A) Create a boot floppy disk by sticking in a blank floppy and then going to "My Computer" and then Right Clicking over A: and clicking Format. Make sure you select the "copy system files" option and then click start to begin the format.

B) Open Explorer and check floppy to ensure that AUTOEXEC.BAT and CONFIG.SYS DO NOT EXIST ON THE FLOPPY DISK! VERY IMPORTANT! If they are there, delete them.

C) Unzip the 1003 BIOS update onto the floppy disk.. DO NOT PUT BOTH THE ZIP FILE AND THE UNZIPPED 1003.bin file on the floppy disk ONLY the 1003.bin file!!!! Otherwise, you will not have enough room on the floppy disk to save your old BIOS when you come to that step.

D) Copy the AFLASH.EXE utility onto the floppy disk.

E) Reboot your system AND ENTER THE BIOS BY HOLDING THE DELETE KEY.

F) Find the primary video option and make sure that it is set to PCI and NOT AGP!!! Very important! And no, it doesn't matter what kind of video card you have, you must change this to PCI!!!

G) Check your boot priority and make sure your floppy disk is set to the first device, then hard disk, then CD-ROM, etc...

H) SAVE AND EXIT BIOS.

I) POWER DOWN

J) Power up with the floppy disk inserted.

K) At DOS prompt, type: AFLASH

L) When the screen comes up, it will tell you your current BIOS version and offer two options: Save old BIOS and Update to new BIOS. First, you want to save your old BIOS so select that option. When it prompts you for a name, type in OLDBIOS and hit enter.

M) Once completed, you want to select the second option to update your BIOS.

N) It will then ask you for a filename. Type in 1003.bin and hit enter.

O) It will then ask you if you are sure that you want to do this... Yes, you do. Then it will update the BIOS.

P) Once complete you must exit the program and SHUT OFF YOUR POWER. Doing a reset will just screw things up so don't do it, shut that puppy all the way down.

Q) Eject the floppy disk and power up your system...hold down the delete key to enter the BIOS.

R) Change your primary video back to AGP (if you have an AGP video card that is)

S) Hit Enter over the "Auto" section of your disk drive settings and then ESCAPE out to re-discover them.

T) SAVE and EXIT the BIOS which will make you re-boot.

U) You have now completed your BIOS update and should now check to make sure that you have the latest Via 4in1 drivers loaded on your system (which you probably don't).

V) Visit: http://216.151.100.249/via/4in1428v(a).zip
for the latest (4.28) sanctioned 4in1 drivers.

W) Unzip the drivers into a unique folder on your hard disk.

X) Run the setup.exe program and enable all functions. Be sure to check the "enable DMA" checkbox if you have an ATA-66 or ATA-100 hard disk when you come to that section.

Y) After completion, reboot your system.

Z) You are now fully updated to the latest sanctioned BIOS and 4in1 drivers for the A7V133.

Steve Benoit

Stable Technologies
'The way IT should be!'