Question Problems with G.Skill Ripjaws DDR3-1866 on P6T Deluxe V2 Motherboard

Jun 29, 2019
The new RAM I installed isn't working.

Processor: Intel Core i7-920 2.66GHz LGA 1366
Motherboard: ASUS P6T Deluxe V2 LGA 1366 Intel X58 ATX
RAM (Current): OCZ 6GB (3 x 2GB) DDR3 SDRAM (PC3 14400)
New RAM (Unstable): G.Skill Ripjaws 16GB (2 x 8GB) DDR3 SDRAM (PC3-14900) XMP Ready
Case: CORSAIR 600C Inverse Full-Tower
Power Supply: Corsair AX1200W
CPU Cooler: 160mm tall Aluminum heat sink w/ no fan
Harddrives: Samsung 860EVO 500GB SSD; Caviar Black 1TB 7200 RPM SATA 3.0Gb/s
Video Card: EVGA 6GB GTX 1060 Superclocked
CD/DVD Burner: ASUS 24x DVD-RW DRW-24B1ST

When installed I can boot into Windows I can do basic tasks, but any attempt to play games ends in failure. Initially, I forgot to go into BIOS and change settings. I tried to update AI Tweaker to both XMP and D.O.C.P. to no avail. I started overclocking. It took until 1.14325 V to be able to log into Windows, but the system was still unstable and I quit.

What is wrong? Should I do XMP again (it is supposed to be XMP ready), or do something else in BIOS to set the right DRAM voltages? Or do I need to continue with overclocking my entire system with the new RAM installed?

Last edited:
Jun 29, 2019
Welcome to the forums my friend!

Is this just with the new RAM installed or with it mixed with the old RAM?
Thank you! If i understand your question correctly... I have only inserted the pair of G.Skill RAM (2x8 GB pair) into the computer by themselves. I have not tried to install both types at the same time. Because of the issue, they are pulled out and i have my old RAM (3x2 GB trio) back in. Thank you for your comment!

It is best to use a triple channel memory kit designed for the Intel X58 chip set. Otherwise the system would only run in dual channel and limit performance.

https://www.newegg.com/g-skill-12gb...12gb&cm_re=gskill_12gb-_-20-231-358-_-Product

Are you using the latest BIOS for the motherboard?

I don't think XMP would be best since the profile is not designed for triple channel motherboards. It may be best to try manual settings by inputting DRAM Frequency, timings, and Voltage. You may want to try a lower value first to see if the system can work properly, such as DDR3-1600 CL9 1.50V. If that does not work, you may need to test each module to see if results are the same. This will give us a better idea of what may be going on and causing an issue, so let us know how it goes.

Jun 29, 2019
...Are you using the latest BIOS for the motherboard?

You may want to try a lower value first to see if the system can work properly, such as DDR3-1600 CL9 1.50V.

A little clarification... the 2x ripjaws booted and recognized in Windows just fine at default settings, but none of my games worked. It was then I started to tweak settings.

Yes, I am using updated BIOS v.1202, dated 12/22/2010.

I lowered to the 1600 Mhz as suggested. I was successful in booting in Windows with both sticks in (A1/B1). Windows recognized all 16GB. Some of my games worked then, but not my Steam ones.