[SOLVED] Problems with gpu and cpu usage with certain games

thefrozenwaffle

Prominent
Feb 19, 2018
So recently I upgraded my gpu to an rtx 2070. Ever since, the experience has been pretty pleasant, I've been able to run a bunch of high demand games with good fps, but there's a problem. Not all of the games that I play are new and high demand. For example, I started playing the Arkham games again, but whenever I play I always get around 40% to 60% gpu usage and like 20% cpu usage. This leads to the fps constantly spiking up and down between the 70 to 144 range, which makes the game a lot less enjoyable. I was wondering whether anyone had any solutions as to why my usage is so low on older games while it seems to be fine on newer more demanding games.
Specs:
EVGA RTX 2070 XC Gaming
Ryzen 7 1700
Corsair Vengeance 8gb DDR4
MSI B350 Gaming Pro
PNY 120gb ssd

Solution
Well, it's good that you have dual channel. And not's so bad either that it's 2666mhz. Faster ram 3000/3200mhz, whatever your board can take, will improve gaming FPS by about 10-15% (game dependant)

Having only 8gbs though is a limiting factor. Once your ram fills up, which in many games it does at 1080p, and mores so at 1440p, causes the system to use the swap/page/ virtual mem instead of the ram, and this can cause FPS drops and sluggish system. Having 16gbs is the sweet spot for gaming. But I'd recommend getting a 2 x matched kit, and selling your current ram to offset the cost. Don't mix and match the dimms with others, as this can be problematic, specially on first gen Ryzen mobo's.

I'm not saying it's the exact issue causing the...
The bigger issue for me is that you have only 8gbs of system ram. If you are playing at 1080p, this could cause you the FPS drops you are having. Your CPU is pretty strong but could use a little OC on it.

is it 1 x 8gb stick of ram or 2? And what speed do they run. Ideally you need a 2 x 8gb kit running at 3000-32000mhz. This alone would give you a massive performance boost in games.

BTW, some games don't use full 100% CPU/GPU. This is normal. Remember you have an 8c16t CPU. Most games now (except for one or two) won't use more than 6 cores/threads. So you see why your not pushing 100% CPU usage? It's totally pendent on the task you are doing.

thefrozenwaffle

Prominent
Feb 19, 2018
The bigger issue for me is that you have only 8gbs of system ram. If you are playing at 1080p, this could cause you the FPS drops you are having. Your CPU is pretty strong but could use a little OC on it.

is it 1 x 8gb stick of ram or 2? And what speed do they run. Ideally you need a 2 x 8gb kit running at 3000-32000mhz. This alone would give you a massive performance boost in games.

BTW, some games don't use full 100% CPU/GPU. This is normal. Remember you have an 8c16t CPU. Most games now (except for one or two) won't use more than 6 cores/threads. So you see why your not pushing 100% CPU usage? It's totally pendent on the task you are doing.
I play on 1440p actually. It's two sticks with a speed of 2666MHz, so maybe that's the issue? I was already planning on buying more ram and upgrading to 16gb later. I would've done it earlier but I already spent $520 on the gpu so I figured I'd wait a little while. Is it possible that it's the memory that is making the games run so poorly?

Well, it's good that you have dual channel. And not's so bad either that it's 2666mhz. Faster ram 3000/3200mhz, whatever your board can take, will improve gaming FPS by about 10-15% (game dependant)

Having only 8gbs though is a limiting factor. Once your ram fills up, which in many games it does at 1080p, and mores so at 1440p, causes the system to use the swap/page/ virtual mem instead of the ram, and this can cause FPS drops and sluggish system. Having 16gbs is the sweet spot for gaming. But I'd recommend getting a 2 x matched kit, and selling your current ram to offset the cost. Don't mix and match the dimms with others, as this can be problematic, specially on first gen Ryzen mobo's.

I'm not saying it's the exact issue causing the games to run so badly, but certainly could account from some or most of it.

Solution

TRENDING THREADS