Question Problems with iMac M1 running Monterey 12.1 and Time Machine

Dec 28, 2021
I have a 2021 iMac M1 running Monterey 12.1 the Time Machine seems to run but when it has finished the TM window in Sys Preferences shows that no back up has been performed and if TM is in Auto backup then it will try to run again and fail due to lack of space on the external HDD or SSD, I have tried both.

The internal storage is 1tb and both a 2tb HDD and a 1tb SSD have been tried on different USB ports with different cables for the backups. I have also tried in Safe Boot with no difference.

One of the problems is that it could go undetected a, if you are like me, you set up TM to run and don't keep on looking to see if it is really doing what it shoulb be doing.

It seems that this is a wide problem and I wondered if anyone else has had the same problem?

spinningstill

Honorable
Jan 15, 2018
Bummer, Monterey is still in Beta. I have not moved to it yet.

I would recommend Carbon Copy Cloner. I have had Macs for years and quit using TM years ago. As far as I know, TM has not been improved or updated for some time.

Would run Fist Aide on all of your drives starting with the top down. For a better first aide run it through Command+R then go into utilities with all drives attached.

I think in TM you also need to select the drive to be backed up. I think by default it does not include externals. CCC is the best!

Grace and peace.

Dec 28, 2021
Ta. SS. I thought that Monterey was full blown now and out of Beta or I wouldn't have touched it. My machine came with Big Sur.

I have CCC and also have had it for years now, but it won't boot in Monterey, yet.. That's a 'watch this space' apparently. You seem to be able to restore folders from it but as yet not boot. I know my copy won't.

First aid has been run and I have been getting my money's worth out of AppleCare and so far it's got as far as involving their software engineers. If this problem is as wide as I believe it might be then all hell will let loose soon.Especially when folk find out it doesn't work properly AFTER they have a problem!

spinningstill

Honorable
Jan 15, 2018
Right sorry to hear that. Apple does stay on top of customer issues once you get started and log your issue. I had them following up on a phone issue and another issue about a year ago.

Right, CCC as far as I understand does not yet boot.

I currently advise against Monterey (keep an eye on Wiki) and Win11.

But otherwise your system is working? If you are concerned about backup, use Backblaze.

Grace and peace.