Problems with installing .NET Framework 3.5 on Win 8.1

Sep 3, 2018
I've tried pretty much everything (except the Windows installation media; I do not have that). No matter what I do it gives me the same 0x800F0906 error.

What I've done:

1. Edit group policy; oddly it's already enabled and the Contact Windows Update directly to download repair content instead of Windows Server Updatr Services (WSUS) option is already checked as well.

2. Activating it from the Turn Windows features on or off; it shows that Windows needs files from Windows Update to finish installation, but the moment "downloading required files" it immediately states the error.

Tried unchecking the (currently installed) .NET 4.5, it worked, repeated the above, still the same.

3. Using the standalone installer; it says that Windows needs the .NET, then jumps to the same thing as number 2.

I can't seem to find the solution to this anywhere. There are people who have the same problem as me, also after trying everything, but none of their questions are solved or have a solution I haven't seen already.

Any help would be appreciated. Thanks in advance.

Solution
Google the error number.

Multiple links to be found.

E.g.:

https://www.bleepingcomputer.com/forums/t/672376/dism-error-0x800f0906/

Take a look at a few of the links you find and revise your search criteria if and as necessary.

Look for some other aspect of the problem that may apply to your situation.

Then narrow things even more if you can.

Key is to identify a solution that both applies to your .NET problem and has some consensus with respect to the solutions offered.

Ralston18

Titan
Google the error number.

Multiple links to be found.

E.g.:

https://www.bleepingcomputer.com/forums/t/672376/dism-error-0x800f0906/

Take a look at a few of the links you find and revise your search criteria if and as necessary.

Look for some other aspect of the problem that may apply to your situation.

Then narrow things even more if you can.

Key is to identify a solution that both applies to your .NET problem and has some consensus with respect to the solutions offered.

Solution