[SOLVED] Problems with my XFX Radeon RX 570

Status
Not open for further replies.
Mar 8, 2020
Hello everyone, This is my first post in this forum... I am here because I have problems with my RX 570...

So I recently bought a Refurbished XFX Radeon RX 570 4 GB and I am having a lot of problems with it... I will describe it...

So My PC specs are:
-i5 4590, 8 GB RAM Dual channel, Radeon RX 570 running at stock speeds at 1244 MHz...

1- My RX 570's clock speed is very random in games, It sometimes runs at around 1030 MHz clock speed in games like Control even though it's at 100% usage without thermal throttling, And when I run benchmarks like Superposition at DirectX the GPU runs at 1168 MHz and 1244 MHz in Superposition OpenGL... It only reaches 1244 MHz after increasing power limit....

2- The second problem is that the GPU doesn't reach it's full clock speed without me increasing the power limit... It sits at something around 1070 MHz At the normal power limit and the GPU utilizes at maximum 120 w and when I increase the power limit to +50% it gets to 178 w and reaches it's full clock speed (1244 MHz)... only in benchmarks...

3- The third problem is high temps... I am running at stock clock speed but when I run the GPU at normal power limit at 55% fan speed (we are in winter currently) the temps go around 70 C max and when I run the GPU at +50% power limit at 80% fan speed the temps go up to 87 C which is too high for me... Then it starts thermal throttling... But why does that happen even though I am running it at stock clock speeds?

The Temp problems (Problem number 3) started happening after I changed my GPU's Cooler (heatsink+fans+shroud) as the old GPU cooler's fans did a lot of rattling noise... The new cooler the retailer gave me looks the exact same as the old one... But he put a new thermal paste on the GPU that looked really low-quality and old... I don't know if that's because of the thermal paste that he used...

And sadly, My RMA period expired (warranty expired)

So why do these problems happen? if you have answers for these problems please type it's number then it's answer in your reply... I am just feeling devastated because of the problems that are happening to my GPU... I would be thankful for any help.

Last edited:
Solution
Your card is hitting "power" limits because Auto voltage is supplying more voltage than necessary.

I see no reason to limit the fans to 55% speeds unless you're sensitive/picky about noise and would rather sacrifice performance than noise.

Have you removed and re-applied thermal paste between the GPU and the heatsink? That lowered my RX480 from 85C @ 2400rpm fans to 73C @ 1100rpm fans with the same frequency and voltage settings.

Here's a thread I put together on how to do manual voltage adjustments. It was composed during the "older" 2019 WattMan layout, but you can see/expose the same settings in 20.2.2 by enabling "Manual" control in Performance Settings, as well as "advanced control"...
Your card is hitting "power" limits because Auto voltage is supplying more voltage than necessary.

I see no reason to limit the fans to 55% speeds unless you're sensitive/picky about noise and would rather sacrifice performance than noise.

Have you removed and re-applied thermal paste between the GPU and the heatsink? That lowered my RX480 from 85C @ 2400rpm fans to 73C @ 1100rpm fans with the same frequency and voltage settings.

Here's a thread I put together on how to do manual voltage adjustments. It was composed during the "older" 2019 WattMan layout, but you can see/expose the same settings in 20.2.2 by enabling "Manual" control in Performance Settings, as well as "advanced control"
30-1080.8e643878.jpg

**Note - this picture is not mine. Just a representation of the new 2020 Performance tab.

As an FYI, here's some points along the curve that I've generally found stable for most cards.
1000MHz = 890mV
1100MHz = 910mV
1200MHz = 940mV (this 940mV is typically an inflection point on the curve, it gets steeper above this value. Notice that values below this are ~25mV/100MHz and values above are 100mV/100MHz)
1300MHz = 1030mV
1400MHz = 1150mV

VRAM voltage is usually fine at 930-950mV. (that sets the lowest voltage that will be applied to the core when not idle).

Solution
Status
Not open for further replies.