[SOLVED] Problems with partitions and performance on my hard drive and SSD

May 19, 2020
Hello kind forum! since all my know - hows in my local technology and electronic shop apparently know less then the average forum user, i seek your expertise : )

My first issue is with my SSD's partitions:
MaMPHGD.png

While my Kingston SSD has been my place for Windows in my PC for a long time, after a couple of formats and hardware changes, ive ended with these confusing partitions in my SSD, and these unallocated space which cannot allocate(pic form magic partition resizer added for reference). What would you think will be the best way to fix my SSD partitions?

My second issue is a known problem that happens when you install windows with a hard drive present - whenever i remove my ST20000 barracuda hard drive from my PC - it wont boot on its on. Now i'm aware this is because boot files are present on my hard drive, but I don't know where to find them, and unlike my SSD, there are no partitions on my HDD, so if theres no boot files on it, why cant my windows boot with my HDD?

How do i fix it so i can boot windows with only my SSD connected?

ek4hQjP.png

TL;DR - how do I fix both my partitions problem and my HDD problem ?

Last edited:
Solution
So thats from the boot priority list on BIOS features tab? I assume some said UEFI before their names? WBM is the right choice for booting off GPT drives.
what is showing in OS type? its on the same tab, just lower down. It should be win 8 or win 8 WHQL as then motherboard will only try to boot using UEFI
CSM should be Never
Boot mode selection (should be grey but if it shows, choose UEFI only)

motherboard manual - https://download.gigabyte.com/FileList/Manual/mb_manual_ga-z87(h87)-hd3_e.pdf Page 46-47

maybe its the cables the drives are attached to? the sata port on motherboard itself? but then ssd shows as disk 0, i think that cancels that argument.

Colif

Win 11 Master
what is the problem with the ssd? you can't really use or do much with the 301mb on 1 side and 500mb on other. You using most of drive now.

what does hdd look like in disk management? if its showing no partitions there, it cannot be where the boot files are.
The EFI partition on ssd should be where its boot files are.

May 19, 2020
what is the problem with the ssd? you can't really use or do much with the 301mb on 1 side and 500mb on other. You using most of drive now.

what does hdd look like in disk management? if its showing no partitions there, it cannot be where the boot files are.
The EFI partition on ssd should be where its boot files are.
Like you said, in DM there are no partitions seen on the HDD, so i cant figure out why when i remove my HDD and leave only my SDD connected windows wont boot - any ideas?

May 19, 2020
what motherboard are you using?
what does it show as 1st item in boot order?

the issue win 10 can do is use blank space on hdd as location of the EFI but its on the ssd in your shots, so that shouldn't be reason.

Motherboard is the gigabyte GA-H87-HD3
The boot order is the following
N1 - windows boot maneger (Pp2: Kingston)
N2 - USB entry for windows to go
N3 - Atapi ihas324(CD DRIVE)
N4 - P2: Kingston)
N5 - windows boot maneger (Pp2: Kingston)
the HDD isnt even listed so i dont think its related

Colif

Win 11 Master
So thats from the boot priority list on BIOS features tab? I assume some said UEFI before their names? WBM is the right choice for booting off GPT drives.
what is showing in OS type? its on the same tab, just lower down. It should be win 8 or win 8 WHQL as then motherboard will only try to boot using UEFI
CSM should be Never

motherboard manual - https://download.gigabyte.com/FileList/Manual/mb_manual_ga-z87(h87)-hd3_e.pdf Page 46-47

maybe its the cables the drives are attached to? the sata port on motherboard itself? but then ssd shows as disk 0, i think that cancels that argument.

Solution
May 19, 2020
CSM should be Never

it was the most bizarre thing. as soon as i changed the windows 8 features setting to "other os" - PC works without the drive! thanks for the tips, this was the BIOS trolling me after all : )