[SOLVED] Problems with Powerline Adapter (TPLINK AV1000)

May 21, 2020
I currently have a setup with an Intel AX200 Wifi Card installed. This gives me inconsistent 5Ghz speeds of 100-200mbps and inconsistent pings whilst gaming as well.

I then bought a TPlink AV1000 powerline adapter to see if it could help. When plugged into the sockets, all the lights were lit green. However, I only got 30mbps and sometimes it shows that the network is not identified or has no internet.

I am just hoping to get a consistent network so that I can play my games smoothly. Hopefully you guys can raise some suggestions to help me out.

Thank you!

Solution
You can test the powerline units by plugging them into outlets in the same room or even both on a cheap power strip (ie the type without surge suppressors).
Most people get more than 100mbps on the newer power line in normal install conditions Many get closer to 300mbps.

If you get a consistent 30mbps you might just want to tolerate it and work around it. It is very uncommon for powerline to get stuff like ping spikes or a lot of packet loss so it should work very well for games even at 30mbps. Most games need well under 1mbps up and down. Some are under 250mbps so it does not take much bandwidth to play.

What you can do is when you need to say download a large game or patch just unplug the ethernet and let it switch back to...
Powerlines work well if the distances are short. Also, this isn't the best model they make as the av1200 and av2000 will do better and be more consistent.

Obviously, a wired ethernet cable directly from the modem is best, but moca is a close second.

May 21, 2020
Powerlines work well if the distances are short. Also, this isn't the best model they make as the av1200 and av2000 will do better and be more consistent.

Obviously, a wired ethernet cable directly from the modem is best, but moca is a close second.
I have tried 2 different powerline adapters and the problem persists. I am scared that it may be my electrical circuit thats causing the problem. If so, what other alternatives can I get to improve my network?

You can test the powerline units by plugging them into outlets in the same room or even both on a cheap power strip (ie the type without surge suppressors).
Most people get more than 100mbps on the newer power line in normal install conditions Many get closer to 300mbps.

If you get a consistent 30mbps you might just want to tolerate it and work around it. It is very uncommon for powerline to get stuff like ping spikes or a lot of packet loss so it should work very well for games even at 30mbps. Most games need well under 1mbps up and down. Some are under 250mbps so it does not take much bandwidth to play.

What you can do is when you need to say download a large game or patch just unplug the ethernet and let it switch back to the wifi to get the higher speeds.

Solution
I have tried 2 different powerline adapters and the problem persists. I am scared that it may be my electrical circuit thats causing the problem. If so, what other alternatives can I get to improve my network?
The newer units with faster standards will be able to do more on the same network, even if it is slower with an older standard.

Case in point is the original 85Mbps powerlines that wouldn't even get a connection. By the time I tried av500 unit, they were able to sustain 40Mbps no problem.

And today the newest units will be 2x as fast as the av500s.

If you have a coaxial cable nearby, moca is an option. And that would be basically as fast as an ethernet cable, so much much faster than powerline.