[SOLVED] Problems with RAM upgrade - Toshiba NB300

antonio8909

Prominent
Sep 5, 2021
Hello,

I want to upgrade the RAM available at one Toshiba NB300. The maximum is 2GB in the only slot available. This is the original one that it's installed right now:

A66cqDA.jpg

I'd buy a 2GB 2Rx8 PC3-8500S-7-10-F1 model from Elpida but when I try to turn on the computer, it just start powering on and off. After unpluging the new model and getting back to the Samsung one, it works as expected. I thought the new RAM was in bad state or broken but I'd plugged it in another PC and it's working fine.

2Q8s9hl.jpg

I don't know if this PC only accepts Samsung's RAM models or something since the memory is working in another PC as I said. I'm quite confused with this issue.

Is there any fix to this strange issue?

Thank you very much in advance.

Solution
Hello, thank you again for your reply:

Yes, it is specified. Here it is the datasheet screenshot:

SPXM60g.png

The full datasheet can be found in: https://datasheetspdf.com/pdf-file/843169/Samsung/M471B2873FHS/1

Although the RAM has a very good price, shipping to Spain is very very expensive. Shall I try and buy one of the RAM sticks stated in @kerberos_20 post or I can buy the Samsung model?

Thank you very much!
Interesting. This is a strange incompatibility for sure since the other module is identical in specs.

I would try one of the modules recommended in that other post, specifically the toshiba one since that should be the official part number. In fact, that's where I...

Lutfij

Titan
Welcome to the forums, newcomer!

Can you see if your laptop is pending any BIOS updates? As for the stick of pseudo new ram, try and take an eraser and rub it along the gold contacts of the stick of ram(Elpida) and then wipe it clean off of any dirt debris. taking a fine bristle brush to clean the ram slot should also help if there's dirt/dust in or around the slot.

FYI, Toshiba NB300 is the series of the laptop, you will need to identify the model/SKU for your laptop and use that to locate the support page for your laptop. You can use CPU-Z to show you what your current BIOS version is, under Mainboard's tab. If the laptop doesn't have any BIOS updates, then you will need to source another stick of ram.

Where are you located?

antonio8909

Prominent
Sep 5, 2021
Welcome to the forums, newcomer!

Can you see if your laptop is pending any BIOS updates? As for the stick of pseudo new ram, try and take an eraser and rub it along the gold contacts of the stick of ram(Elpida) and then wipe it clean off of any dirt debris. taking a fine bristle brush to clean the ram slot should also help if there's dirt/dust in or around the slot.

FYI, Toshiba NB300 is the series of the laptop, you will need to identify the model/SKU for your laptop and use that to locate the support page for your laptop. You can use CPU-Z to show you what your current BIOS version is, under Mainboard's tab. If the laptop doesn't have any BIOS updates, then you will need to source another stick of ram.

Where are you located?

Hello, thank you for your reply. I'm from Spain

After checking with CPU-Z, my PC doesn't have any new BIOS uodate. I'd clean the RAM slot and the Elpida RAM with a contact cleaner and it didn't worked. The Samsung one works without issue while Elpida doesn't.

Could it be possible that this PC only accepts Samsung RAMs? I know that my question can be strange but I don't seem to find an explanation for this case.

Let me share the results from CPU-Z about the installed RAM.

hXaTSeD.jpg

rPhP7wn.jpg

Thank you very much for your help!

antonio8909

Prominent
Sep 5, 2021
I can't seem to find the correct information on your laptop, so you need to find the part number, probably on a sticker on the underside of the laptop. Once we have that, we can assist you better.

Hello, thank you for your reply.

The part number is: PLL3ZE-001001LX

Thank you.

antonio8909

Prominent
Sep 5, 2021
Hello, thank you for your answer!

I am already aware of that limit. What I want to know is why the new RAM doesn't work when I believe it does comply with the requirements.

Thank you

Hello, thank you for your answer!

I am already aware of that limit. What I want to know is why the new RAM doesn't work when I believe it does comply with the requirements.

Thank you
Sorry, I somehow recalled that you were trying a 4GB module (which wouldn't work due to the 2GB limit).

As far as why that 2GB module will not work, the only thing that comes to mind is that the module design is incompatible since it is probably a much newer module. This was a common problem with chipsets that could use both ddr2 and ddr3 as they could not use newer designs of ddr3 even of the same size. (This is a common limitation of ddr3 lga775 based systems that can never have more than 16GB of ram since 8GB ddr3 modules didn't exist during the lga775 ddr3 era, and hence the motherboards were never designed for them.)

My suggestion would be search the original working part number and find the samsung data sheet for it as it should have a 2GB module part number. Then purchased a USED version of that part number that should be from the correct era and should work.

antonio8909

Prominent
Sep 5, 2021
Sorry, I somehow recalled that you were trying a 4GB module (which wouldn't work due to the 2GB limit).

As far as why that 2GB module will not work, the only thing that comes to mind is that the module design is incompatible since it is probably a much newer module. This was a common problem with chipsets that could use both ddr2 and ddr3 as they could not use newer designs of ddr3 even of the same size. (This is a common limitation of ddr3 lga775 based systems that can never have more than 16GB of ram since 8GB ddr3 modules didn't exist during the lga775 ddr3 era, and hence the motherboards were never designed for them.)

My suggestion would be search the original working part number and find the samsung data sheet for it as it should have a 2GB module part number. Then purchased a USED version of that part number that should be from the correct era and should work.
Hello, thank you again for your answer.

Where should I find that original working part number?

Thank you!

antonio8909

Prominent
Sep 5, 2021
From the first picture, it is this number: M741B2873FHS-CF8

Thank you! I found the datasheet succesfully. According to it, it says that the 2GB model part number should be M471B5673FH0. According to that information, I'd make a search and I found this memory. This one should work, right?

s-l1600.jpg

Thank you very much!

antonio8909

Prominent
Sep 5, 2021
Thank you! I found the datasheet succesfully. According to it, it says that the 2GB model part number should be M471B5673FH0. According to that information, I'd make a search and I found this memory. This one should work, right?

s-l1600.jpg

Thank you very much!
Did the spec sheet specify the -CF8 suffix? The reason I ask is because this is almost identical in spec to the other module you purchased and we know that module didn't work even though it was tested good in another system.

Seems like this system may be even more particular than I first thought. I think it's time to go to an expert--memorystock.com. They have the exact part guaranteed for $12 here:
https://www.memorystock.com/memory/ToshibaMiniNotebookNB305DDR3.html

This is the only company I would trust when I have a difficult memory compatability issue. They were around back in the day when there was no 'standard' memory and everything was custom. It took a good company to make it in through those days.

antonio8909

Prominent
Sep 5, 2021
Did the spec sheet specify the -CF8 suffix? The reason I ask is because this is almost identical in spec to the other module you purchased and we know that module didn't work even though it was tested good in another system.

SPXM60g.png

The full datasheet can be found in: https://datasheetspdf.com/pdf-file/843169/Samsung/M471B2873FHS/1

Seems like this system may be even more particular than I first thought. I think it's time to go to an expert--memorystock.com. They have the exact part guaranteed for $12 here:
https://www.memorystock.com/memory/ToshibaMiniNotebookNB305DDR3.html

This is the only company I would trust when I have a difficult memory compatability issue. They were around back in the day when there was no 'standard' memory and everything was custom. It took a good company to make it in through those days.

Although the RAM has a very good price, shipping to Spain is very very expensive. Shall I try and buy one of the RAM sticks stated in @kerberos_20 post or I can buy the Samsung model?

Thank you very much!

SPXM60g.png

Thank you very much!
Interesting. This is a strange incompatibility for sure since the other module is identical in specs.

I would try one of the modules recommended in that other post, specifically the toshiba one since that should be the official part number. In fact, that's where I would have started actually--find out what the original toshiba part number is for the 2gb module and either find it used or a order from a company like compuram.biz that's EU based:

Solution