problems with windows update

bigal80ak

Distinguished
Apr 30, 2012
Recently tried to install an update and once restart it always says failed reverting changes. i tried a disk cleanup and a registry cleanup tried to see if i could find the files and delete them manually as they may have installed improperly the first time and that did not work. I tried downloading windows update repair program and that did not work. I tried manually installing the update and that did not work.
Security update for windows 7 for x64 bit systems (kb3159398) is the update
No new hardware or programs installed anything like that, that could be conflicting i think this is just an update that did not install properly and now trying to figure out how to fix and get it back on track without losing any of my data?(erasing drive and reinstall windows)

Thanks for any help

Solution
This update is known to cause problems. It is safe to hide it.
For more information refer to the Microsoft Security Bulletin MS16-072
I assume they'll provide a fix for this and the other affected patches on the next patch Tuesday.

Tanyac

Reputable
Before you do that, go to your Windows folder and rename the SoftwareDistribution folder to SoftwareDistribution.old.

To do this...
1, Go to CMD prompt
2. Type net stop wuauserv
3. Rename the c:\Windows\SoftwareDistribution folder to c:\windows\SoftwareDistribution.old
4. Go back to the CMD prompt and type net start wuauserv
5. Check for updates.
6. You may get an error 0x80244010. If you do, just try again (This error occurs when Windows can't get all update info in one try - Round trips exceeded).

see how that goes.

Once updates are working again you can delete the softwaredistribution.old folder.

bigal80ak

Distinguished
Apr 30, 2012

yeah updates just keeps running its been almost 12 hours now is that normal or should i now run windows update repair tool you think?

bigal80ak

Distinguished
Apr 30, 2012

finally loaded up last night and came up with 13 updates including a new one that turned my computer screen blue on login and asked about updating to windows 10 which i think is more then a bit irritating but still installed all but that one update. wil install new updater but swear i already have it

Tanyac

Reputable
To install that update you had to to manually install it. First stopping the update service, then install the update, then rename the software distribution folder, then restart the update service. That seems to be been one of the few ways to fix the problem, at least on all the systems I have had to work on, and from reports from others.

There are a few updates you don't want if you want to avoid Windows 10.

There are millions of threads all over the place regarding this. Two key ones are KB3035583 and KB2952664 (I would uninstall those updates inf you have them installed and then hide them next time they are offered).

And make sure Recommended updates are disabled.

Or you could try Never10 or many of the other free utilities around the place that reportedly stop Windows 10 installing/downloading.

Tanyac

Reputable
This update is known to cause problems. It is safe to hide it.
For more information refer to the Microsoft Security Bulletin MS16-072
I assume they'll provide a fix for this and the other affected patches on the next patch Tuesday.

Solution

bigal80ak

Distinguished
Apr 30, 2012

alright thank you for your help and time