Question Procedure for updating the BIOS ?

PDN

Honorable
Apr 17, 2019
Asus 790
I have upgraded my firmware by locating the file and downloading it to my flash drive formatted as X fat or fat 32. I rename the file to the cap file.
I then eject the flash drive and shut the computer down.
Now I boot the computer tapping del until I reach bios. I insert the flash drive and go to advanced then to tool.
I tap until the cap file is visible and click on it. When done I tap F1. The pc reports a success and the new BIOS file # appears.
I know the boards are the different but basically the same procedure.
Please comment if necessary.

Asus 790
I have upgraded my firmware by locating the file and downloading it to my flash drive formatted as X fat or fat 32. I rename the file to the cap file.
I then eject the flash drive and shut the computer down.
Now I boot the computer tapping del until I reach bios. I insert the flash drive and go to advanced then to tool.
I tap until the cap file is visible and click on it. When done I tap F1. The pc reports a success and the new BIOS file # appears.
I know the boards are the different but basically the same procedure.
Please comment if necessary.
It sounds like you're doing it the hard way. You can just download the file from ASUS site onto your internal drive and point the updater to that file. You really don't need as usb drive. Also if you look under the Tool menu in the bios you'll see that in the user profile section there's an option to save your existing bios settings onto a usb. So if you have a lot of bios settings that you have changed you can reload them after the bios is updated.

Reactions: PDN and CountMike

PDN

Honorable
Apr 17, 2019
I am not good at this and am struggling. I keep reading your post but am confused. Just soo you know I do not have a flash button. Please sort of explain in layman's terms and I would really appreciate it. Or give me a link to do as you explained.
PS should I have My Asus installed if not necessary?

I am not good at this and am struggling. I keep reading your post but am confused. Just soo you know I do not have a flash button. Please sort of explain in layman's terms and I would really appreciate it. Or give me a link to do as you explained.
PS should I have My Asus installed if not necessary?
It is not necessary to have My ASUS installed. If you look at the Tool menu in your bios you should see the first item is Asus EZ Flash 3 Utility. If you press enter and select that option, you should see a list of all of the drives installed in and connected to your computer. You can then use your cursor keys to navigate the list to whatever drive you have the bios cap file stored on. Its easiest if its one of your internal drives. When you reach the cap file you just press enter to select it and the bios update process begins.

If you have made numerous changes to your bios settings you may want to store them to be reloaded at a future time. If you go down the Tool menu you will see an entry for Asus User Profile. The last entry in that menu is Load/Save Profile from/to USB. You will need a usb drive for that. After you have saved your custom bios settings to the usb you can use the same menu to reload them after you have updated to a new bios.

I'm not sure if this will help but:
Have the USB stick plugged in first. Then boot into your bios. Sometimes I've noticed it works better than if you plug the USB stick in after you are already in your bios. Your new bios file should be renamed before you put it on the USB stick. When you unzip the downloaded file there might be a 'rename' file in there that you can click on and it will rename the bios file for you. If you rename it yourself you need to make sure you've renamed it correctly, if you use the rename file then you don't have to worry about it. Then you put that renamed file on your USB stick. Then your bios will simply use it to update when you do the update.

I'm not sure if this will help but:
Have the USB stick plugged in first. Then boot into your bios. Sometimes I've noticed it works better than if you plug the USB stick in after you are already in your bios. Your new bios file should be renamed before you put it on the USB stick. When you unzip the downloaded file there might be a 'rename' file in there that you can click on and it will rename the bios file for you. If you rename it yourself you need to make sure you've renamed it correctly, if you use the rename file then you don't have to worry about it. Then you put that renamed file on your USB stick. Then your bios will simply use it to update when you do the update.
No this doesn't actually help. The whole point is that the days when you needed a usb to update your bios are over. The built in bios updater can access the new bios file on any drive and its easier to just use the internal drive that you downloaded it onto. Plus the update goes faster when the new bios file is being read from an internal drive rather than a usb.

Reactions: Phillip Corcoran