[SOLVED] Process of partitioning SSD's

chancemitchell

Reputable
Aug 9, 2016
My entire system, OS and all, runs on 1 Samsung EVO 850 500GB ATA SSD. I bought a Samsung 860 EVO 1 TB SSD. I want to take everything that isn't my OS and move it to my 1TB SSD. Is this a good plan? Can I accomplish this in the Magician software easily since my OS is already on the preferred SSD and I'm using two Samsung products? I haven't installed the SSD yet but can I assume it's simply plug and play or do I need to do something methodical? I ask all this because last time I moved from my HD to this SSD I nuked my whole system lol.

Also I never switched the mode of my original SSD. Should I switch from IDE to AHCI for both of these SSD's?

Solution
I don't have much on my PC. I just figured if possible I'd move my Steam folder and my downloaded games (like two games at the moment) and microsoft OFFICE over to the 1 TB SSD. I was going to start downloading my applications to the other drive once I got things sorted. Am I just delusional on how memory storage can work?

MS Office? Leave it where it is. A full install of Office and all of the options takes ~4GB. Less than 1% of your 500GB drive.
All your other applications? Also leave them on the 500GB.

Games are the real space sucker, and Steam is no problem. That can be moved.

Create a new folder on the 1TB drive. Then:
Steam games location
In the steam client:
Steam
Settings
Downloads
Steam Library Folders
Add...

USAFRet

Titan
Yes, you should be running AHCI instead of IDE.

"I want to take everything that isn't my OS and move it to my 1TB SSD. Is this a good plan? "

No, that is NOT a good plan. You can't split out your applications from the 500GB and magically move them to the 1TB.
What, exactly, are you wanting to move from the 500GB to the 1TB?

chancemitchell

Reputable
Aug 9, 2016
I don't have much on my PC. I just figured if possible I'd move my Steam folder and my downloaded games (like two games at the moment) and microsoft OFFICE over to the 1 TB SSD. I was going to start downloading my applications to the other drive once I got things sorted. Am I just delusional on how memory storage can work?

USAFRet

Titan

MS Office? Leave it where it is. A full install of Office and all of the options takes ~4GB. Less than 1% of your 500GB drive.
All your other applications? Also leave them on the 500GB.

Games are the real space sucker, and Steam is no problem. That can be moved.

Create a new folder on the 1TB drive. Then:
Steam games location
In the steam client:
Steam
Settings
Downloads
Steam Library Folders
Add library folder
q24sFfe.png

To move an already installed game
Games library
Right click the game