Processor component fraud

aamird95

Prominent
Oct 5, 2017
Hi I just built a brand new PC from a local retailer in India consisting of I7 8700k, and I am doubtful that the processor I was sold is used, since the first processor that was installed by the retailer was bent by his employee while installing it into the socket and that happened in front of me since I was standing through the whole process of my pc being built.So after the chip got bent he said he would replace it with a new chip but it would take a while for the chip to come since it was coming from his warehouse . So after that I went outside to grab a bite for a couple of minutes and when I came back inside the shop they mysteriously installed another chip, saying that it’s brand new . Later when I asked for the box of the processor he pretty randomly gave me a box of the processor ( There were quite a few empty boxes of processors lying around) . So I just wanted to know if there is any specific serial No. that I can match the box of the processor to the actual chip to confirm that he did genuinely sell my a brand new chip and not any used chip lying around.

Solution
Sounds suspicious to me.
There is no way a competent builder can bend a cpu chip.
Yes, it is an easy mistake to bend a motherboard socket pin, but that would have necessitated a replacement motherboard.

To find out the particulars of the processor, you will have to remove the cooler and clean off the paste.
Here is the intel link on that:
https://www.intel.com/content/www/us/en/support/articles/000005609/processors.html
It can be important to have the correct serial number if you ever need warranty service.

When your pc is working, install cpu-z.
It will identify the processor and some particulars like stepping and revision numbers.

You also might be able to work backwards from the box you were given.
The details should get you...
Sounds suspicious to me.
There is no way a competent builder can bend a cpu chip.
Yes, it is an easy mistake to bend a motherboard socket pin, but that would have necessitated a replacement motherboard.

To find out the particulars of the processor, you will have to remove the cooler and clean off the paste.
Here is the intel link on that:
https://www.intel.com/content/www/us/en/support/articles/000005609/processors.html
It can be important to have the correct serial number if you ever need warranty service.

When your pc is working, install cpu-z.
It will identify the processor and some particulars like stepping and revision numbers.

You also might be able to work backwards from the box you were given.
The details should get you information to process a rma request.

There are some scams around selling bogus 8700K
https://www.reddit.com/r/pcmasterrace/comments/7vun5k/bought_a_brand_new_i7_8700k_of_amazon_directly/

Solution

aamird95

Prominent
Oct 5, 2017

Thanks for the help. I also wanted to ask that i am getting lower than standard gpu usage in many games. Ex- In ac origins I am getting a gpu utilisation of 75% and sometmes utilisation going as low as 48% quite often with a 2080 ti on a 3440x1440 g-sync monitor. Is this the problem of the motherboard or cpu given my situation? My cpu is working just fine . Should i replace the motherboard?? Also the pc doesnt boot if I put my ram (8x2) in the 3rd or 4th slot , its an msi z390 gaming carbon pro ac and i havent updated the bios since it came out of the box.

Games will be limited by cpu or by graphics.

With a 2080ti, I am not surprised that your graphics card is loafing.

Read your motherboard manual.
There is usually a preferred pair of ram slots to use if the board is not fully populated.
I'm many cases which slots are used does not matter. Possibly it does on your motherboard.

TRENDING THREADS