Question Processor Suggestion?

Feb 18, 2019
Morning all!
CPU issues; pegs @ 100% when running certain 4k torrents off my computers Plex server to chromecast or roku.

Can run lower framerate 4k vids just fine, but larger ones and it freezes. Best I can tell from reading forums and tests, my rig below can handle it just fine but the CPU is slouching big time.

Suggestions for a new processor, while keeping what I have below?

And bonus question (tho not required): Suggest OC'ing with what i will have for processing power?

Rig:
Win 10 Enterprise, 64-bit
Intel i5-6500 @ 3.2ghz; Skylake, Socket 1151 LGA, 14nm
Mem: Corsair DDR4-2132 (1066 mhz) 32gb
Mobo: ASRock Z170 Gaming K6
Bios: American P1/90
NVIDIA GeForce GTX 950 GDDR5 2GB

Thnx

Here is a list of the processors that your motherboard supports:
https://www.asrock.com/MB/Intel/Fatal1ty Z170 Gaming K6/index.asp#CPU
The strongest will be the i7-7700K.

Your motherboard supports overclocking of K suffix processors.
Usually, a good overclock will give you 20% more power.
Exactly how much depends on getting a good chip.

If your rig should perform better, check out the possibility that your processor is throttling because of thermal issues.
If your stock cooler is working well, you should see 10-15c. over ambient at idle.

Reactions: Wetdream524

popatim

Titan
Hi bitrate 4k videos require alot of bandwidth., even ore if you are using 4k Surround.
Where is he source of the file and how is it getting to your pc?
Is the decoder/playback software using the GPU to render the frames?
You may just need to upgrade your GPU to one with more vram. Perhaps a friend has one you can borrow to test with.

As 7700K is the 'end of the upgrade line' for so many 100/200 series chipset owners, that CPU's prices are elevated to $425 currently on Amazon...(a bit odd since you can get a B360 mainboard and an 8700K for about the same money...!)

Although the 7700 (non-K) is $312, that same money could get a B450 and R5-2600 nearly....

Might be better to sell off the Z170/6500 combo, or, repurpose it to a NAS or something, vs. spending too much on another CPU just to save the current MB...?

Cioby

Distinguished
You can't OC a non-K CPU.
It may be better to change motherboard, at least you can salvage the RAM. If all you do is work or gaming is secondary, you could get a cheap Ryzen 1700x 2700x + motherboard. If you also care about gaming at 1080p 1440p, get a Intel i7 8700k 9700k

Feb 18, 2019
Ok rad! This gives me some ideas... @mdd1963 I might opt for buying a B360 mainboard and an 8700K cpu if its about the same price! I have a nice Sammy SSD and a workhorse Corsair PSU... transfer memory and video card and ill have a pretty solid rig imo.

@popatim To answer the other question: I have 5 HDDs attached that store all my movies.
I use Plex on my desktop... but just stream my Plex movies on the Roku Ultra I have. Picture can come in looking pretty amazing.

Not cpu related, but: added a powerline adapter near my modem, and put one by desktop and one in basement. Getting a solid stable 65mbps out of the new ethernet switch in my basement, and Cat e6 for better transfer rates.

Anyone other ideas or thoughts that might help with the issues?