Professional Help: Getting The Best Overclock From AMD's A8-3870K

Status
Not open for further replies.
This is pretty cool, this addresses most of the questions I would have about gaming with a LLano part. But it seems Trinity is right around the corner so I would still have reservations about recommending it. Except for the fact I just saw one of these quads for $90 at the egg, which does make a compelling case for folks on a tight budget.

EzioAs

Distinguished
Interesting read. Can't wait to see how much of an improvement the desktop Trinity APU brings seeing Llano is better than what I imagine it would be

peroludiarom

Distinguished
Oct 12, 2011
Hi Don, you have wrote great article!
I have just one question - do you try to overclock the memory controller as well, because its not mentioned in the article? Thanks in advance

G

Wife's pentium intel g620 and amd 7750 on budget board and 8 gb budget ram .....only pulls 150 watts max !!!!!!!!lcost less and performs much better. Apu is a epic idea, alas still useless maybe trinity will save the day. Until then the hype and misleading performance promises will still make them money.

Fokissed

Distinguished
Feb 10, 2010
On page 2 there is a reference to hwbot.com, which seemingly doesn't exist anymore.

[EDIT BY CLEEVE] Thanks for catching that, fixed to hwbot.org! [/EDIT]

freggo

Distinguished
Nov 22, 2008
[citation][nom]Fokissed[/nom]On page 2 there is a reference to hwbot.com, which seemingly doesn't exist anymore.[/citation]

Makes you wonder how old the article is that a dead domain link made it into the text :)

csbeer

Distinguished
Aug 31, 2011
"So, we installed it (6670) in the overclocked system and disengaged its on-die GPU."

I don't get why all these major sites don't test the dual graphics nature of the asymetrical xfire that Llano supports? Marry that APU with a 6570 or 6670 for maximum performance, that's the whole point of the Llano experience imo! I have a Llano notebook and am so hungry for info on other's experiments and results with the APU+DGPU.

biggerbooger

Honorable
Aug 8, 2012
Excuse the noob question, but if you had say 2 x 4gb sticks rather than 2 x 2 and you put on a corsair H40 contained water cooler for example could you get much better OC performance? This is looking like a viable option.

serendipiti

Distinguished
Aug 9, 2010
Good article, a bit late (and excuse my paranoia, but having AMD stopped trinity just to end selling A8s in stock makes me think this article comes as an ad...)

[citation][nom]Snow85[/nom]Wife's pentium intel g620 and amd 7750 on budget board and 8 gb budget ram .....only pulls 150 watts max !!!!!!!!lcost less and performs much better. Apu is a epic idea, alas still useless maybe trinity will save the day. Until then the hype and misleading performance promises will still make them money.[/citation]

I don't think it is fair to compare. OK, both are products on the market, but it's not fair. g620 is in fact a marketing item, is a modern intel processor capped down... I would better compare Phenom II + 6670, but comparing AMD and Intel it is not a fair comparison for the APU concept. I don't mean your buying decision should take into account g620...

Moore's law takes us there: it makes no sense a 32 core cpu on a desktop PC by now, but it makes a lot of sense having a SoC, and getting the desktop PC fit your palm...

The first APU attempts show lot of binding to memory performance... so 3 / 4 channel architectures should improve a lot the result, the problem is that 2 more channels mean lots of pins on the socket, which rise costs...

[citation][nom]csbeer[/nom]"So, we installed it (6670) in the overclocked system and disengaged its on-die GPU."I don't get why all these major sites don't test the dual graphics nature of the asymetrical xfire that Llano supports? Marry that APU with a 6570 or 6670 for maximum performance, that's the whole point of the Llano experience imo! I have a Llano notebook and am so hungry for info on other's experiments and results with the APU+DGPU.[/citation]

I think the first benchmarks tested that combination...

vitornob

Distinguished
Jun 15, 2008
[citation][nom]serendipiti[/nom]Good article, a bit late (and excuse my paranoia, but having AMD stopped trinity just to end selling A8s in stock makes me think this article comes as an ad...)I don't think it is fair to compare. OK, both are products on the market, but it's not fair. g620 is in fact a marketing item, is a modern intel processor capped down... I would better compare Phenom II + 6670, but comparing AMD and Intel it is not a fair comparison for the APU concept. I don't mean your buying decision should take into account g620...Moore's law takes us there: it makes no sense a 32 core cpu on a desktop PC by now, but it makes a lot of sense having a SoC, and getting the desktop PC fit your palm... The first APU attempts show lot of binding to memory performance... so 3 / 4 channel architectures should improve a lot the result, the problem is that 2 more channels mean lots of pins on the socket, which rise costs... I think the first benchmarks tested that combination...[/citation]

Don't see how this is an unfair comparative. (A8-3870k vs G620 + HD7750)
Both will serve as CPU, both will serve as GPU, both are in the market. In the PC components market we should look for 3 mainly caracteristics:
1- Performance on the softwares you use (this include reability and warranty)
2- Cost of the parts
3- And a few years to now, energy usage

If Snow85 is right in his statements, we have the combo g620 + HD7750 being, cheaper, faster and using less energy.
So.. where's the unfair here? Doesn't both in the same market, being sold for the same people that looks for components?

A Bad Day

Distinguished
Nov 25, 2011
*Looks at AMD Trinity*

*Notices that the laptop has a 1066 MHz memory with 9-9-9-x timing*

Hey manufacturer, why not get a cheaper Trinity and spend a little more on a 1600 or 1866 MHz memory? Oh wait, marketing.

Interesting exercise, especially for those who like to play with their hardware. For those wanting to play on their hardware, there are better choices. I used to be in the first group, but now I'm in the second, although some of the tips here are certainly useful.
I also thought it was funny how the pic of the CM cooler showed it with the Intel pushpins, not the AMD FM1 mounting bracket.

gondor

Distinguished
Apr 14, 2011
[citation][nom]mayankleoboy1[/nom]Llano is great, but i am waiting for the die-shrink to reduce power and heat.[/citation]

LOL !? Llano *is* a die shrink of K10.5 CPU architecture (formerly at 45 nm) and VLIW5 GPU architecture formerly at 40 nm) down to 32 nm. There aren't going to be any more K10.5 die shrinks, it's a dead architecture for the time being.

tului

Distinguished
Aug 20, 2010
[citation][nom]Snow85[/nom]Wife's pentium intel g620 and amd 7750 on budget board and 8 gb budget ram .....only pulls 150 watts max !!!!!!!!lcost less and performs much better. Apu is a epic idea, alas still useless maybe trinity will save the day. Until then the hype and misleading performance promises will still make them money.[/citation]
In a laptop, where you can't pop in discrete graphics, it is another story. You can easily get a $500 system that can game nearly as well as some $1000 systems(especially the ones with crap Intel HD 3000/4000 crap). If I'm paying $1000+ for a laptop, it'd better have a discrete GPU. At $500 and below, the APU is a great price in that form factor.

You are right on the desktop though, where you can get much higher per core and per watt performance for x86 out of Intel and just slap in a $80 GPU if or when you need to take graphics up a notch.

serendipiti

Distinguished
Aug 9, 2010
[citation][nom]vitornob[/nom]Don't see how this is an unfair comparative. (A8-3870k vs G620 + HD7750)Both will serve as CPU, both will serve as GPU, both are in the market. In the PC components market we should look for 3 mainly caracteristics: 1- Performance on the softwares you use (this include reability and warranty)2- Cost of the parts3- And a few years to now, energy usageIf Snow85 is right in his statements, we have the combo g620 + HD7750 being, cheaper, faster and using less energy.So.. where's the unfair here? Doesn't both in the same market, being sold for the same people that looks for components?[/citation]

It's unfair if you want to test about the APU concept. it's about asking if it makes sense to integrate the GPU with the CPU to get an APU...
My point of view it is not about to compare products to perform a purchase decision. Making a purchase decision has to do with the concrete situation you are dealing with (and here, every case may be a different one, with different things to look at. Anyway, comparing the energy usage on such a heavily overclocked-overvolted chip is useless, without OC, the A8 is hard to beat on energy usage...)
My point of view is about trends and comparing technology... For this reason I talked about a 32 core CPU vs SoC and their uses in the current days.

vitornob

Distinguished
Jun 15, 2008
[citation][nom]serendipiti[/nom]It's unfair if you want to test about the APU concept. it's about asking if it makes sense to integrate the GPU with the CPU to get an APU... My point of view it is not about to compare products to perform a purchase decision. Making a purchase decision has to do with the concrete situation you are dealing with (and here, every case may be a different one, with different things to look at. Anyway, comparing the energy usage on such a heavily overclocked-overvolted chip is useless, without OC, the A8 is hard to beat on energy usage...)My point of view is about trends and comparing technology... For this reason I talked about a 32 core CPU vs SoC and their uses in the current days.[/citation]

Now sir I agree 100%.. trend by trend, AMD APUs are unique

jamie_1318

Distinguished
Jun 25, 2010
"Cooler Master’s Hyper TX3 is a cost-effective unit that's world's better than what AMD bundles with its A8-3870K."

Really toms? what on earth it the apostrophe doing on worlds?

jsowoc

Distinguished
Jul 6, 2005
Is the temperature graph on page 9 actual degrees, or degrees above ambient?

If actual, what was the temperature in the room when you had the APU sitting at 4 degrees? If above ambient, isn't a typical case ~30 degrees, so 68 degrees above 30 = fried APU?

verbalizer

Distinguished
If Snow85 is right in his statements, we have the combo g620 + HD7750 being, cheaper, faster and using less energy.

this article should have been done last year and even then I wouldn't care.
the only thing AMD has going for it right now is the APU and it's weak.
the concept is good and that's what's keeping them alive.
now here comes Trinity and Piledriver I hope soon AMD to have a chip to compete with the first generation of Intel Core chips.
LGA 1156 - Nehalem.

get a lesser Intel chip and dedicated GPU.
case closed.

I do second the TX3 compliments..

Status
Not open for further replies.