Program Files (x86) Deleting itself

Spyingforvancouver

Reputable
Mar 22, 2014
A friend of mine gave me his old 2tb HDD with a copy of Windows 7 loaded onto it. Before wiping the hard drive I wanted to see what was on it and if there was anything important that he needed. When I booted my pc after installing the HDD, my pc booted from the HDD automatically. This copy of Windows 7 however is a 32 bit copy, Where as my windows 10 is a 64 bit. I believe that After being on a 32 bit copy, Windows removed my Program files (x86) from my SDD where windows 10 was loaded. However, the SDD doesnt recoginze the folder as gone, as the amount of storage space remaining remained the same. I was wondering if there was a way to restore Program FIles (x86) or if a hard reset of the pc is my only option?

Solution
If you can, boot into safe mode. This is possible by running msconfig.exe (you can search it) and turning on safe mode. Then reset. Try running the repair tools in cmd there, specifically: sfc /scannow & the disk repair tool. If this isn't possible, my best recommendation is to just reinstall if you don't have anything too important on the boot drive.

You could also try these things as an admin, from a built in administrator account. (elevated privileges beyond admin user account)
Open a command prompt and type net user administrator /active:yes
Program files (x86) is just a folder, having 64-bit or 32-bit windows doesn't affect it, as again, it's just a folder.

And are you attempting to load the files on your SSD from the HDD or from within the SSD? Because if you are attempting to load it from within the HDD, you wouldn't be able to use those files, because it hasn't been given permission to do so. I recommend just wiping the HDD, then using it as storage from the SSD. Also, all content that would be "saved" from the HDD would be in the pictures, videos, documents, etc. The installation folder shouldn't much matter, as most registration keys for programs are either sent electronically via email or are located on a disk. Hope this helps.

whateverdude

Proper
Jun 21, 2018
I don't believe that the Windows AI would delete the Program Files (x86) folder without authorization.
If you deleted that folder you should boot from Windows 7 again and restore it from the recycle bin.

Spyingforvancouver

Reputable
Mar 22, 2014
Sorry for being unclear, but @Prince_xaine, I only use my SSD for my operating system and an occasional game. Everything else is stored onto my HDD. My guess is somehow in the process my windows was corrupted as many of my files are now labeled missing And when attempting to reset my pc, it gets to ~60% and just quits and puts me back to the advance launch option screen. Also though, @whateverdude, my program files (x86) has actually turned into a file type just labeled "File" and is 0kb big. The folder however, still remains missing.

Spyingforvancouver

Reputable
Mar 22, 2014
I would attempt that @kerberos, However I am discovering that many windows features, such as: Device Manager, Clicking "Getting Started' Under Reset this pc, and cmd (Only when launching as administrator though. Running it normally works fine however I need to run cmd as administrator to be able to run chkdsk), simply cause the window to freeze upon attempting to run them. After a long while I get an error message consisting of random numbers and letters.

If you can, boot into safe mode. This is possible by running msconfig.exe (you can search it) and turning on safe mode. Then reset. Try running the repair tools in cmd there, specifically: sfc /scannow & the disk repair tool. If this isn't possible, my best recommendation is to just reinstall if you don't have anything too important on the boot drive.

You could also try these things as an admin, from a built in administrator account. (elevated privileges beyond admin user account)
Open a command prompt and type net user administrator /active:yes

Solution