Program has been denied access to the graphics hardware

HeqGrimson

Reputable
Sep 4, 2015
Didn't know where to post this, but here it is.
I've had this problem with my new PC, that when I play certain games, it crashes after 5-20 minutes after starting the game. First it happened on Star Wars Battlefront Beta, didn't really think much of it because it would end in few hours. So I played other games. I installed Rust, it had the same problem but somehow I got it fixed. I did things on Norton that has control of my firewall. Now.. I have that problem on GTA V. Did everything I did for Rust but nothing has worked.
If anyone know anything about this, please help me on this.

Solutions I have tried:
Checking temperatures of my GPU, CPU and HDD to see if they are overheating.
Reinstalling drivers.
Allowing GTAV.exe more permissions on Norton.
Disabling and reinstalling Norton.
Turned down graphics.
Contacted MSI Support (never got an answer)

Specs:
System: Windows 10
GPU: MSI R9 390X 8GB
CPU: Intel i5 4690k @ 3.8GHz
Ram: HyperX 8GB 1866MHz (2x4)
Motherboard: MSI Z97-G43
Case: Fractal Design Define R4
PSU: Corsair CX750W

Solution
Try the following. From what you are describing, it sounds like the issue lies within software/drivers.

- Remove your graphics card and boot into windows using the hdmi output and integrated graphics

- Start a game and let it run for awhile, if the game does not crash within the timeframe you experienced previously, the problem exists with your catalyst drivers or with your physical graphics card.

- I did not see a clear answer on whether you have used DDU or a similar cleaning utility to wipe your drivers and registry entries of cataylst/amd drivers. It is important to fully clean the system of software/drivers that may be causing a problem. Please perform a full wipe of your drivers and do a fresh install of the latest revision...

spagalicious

Distinguished
What notification do receive saying that "a program is denied access to your GPU"? Does the notification come from Norton? Sounds like a driver issue. Have you tried a full wipe of your graphics driver and fresh install of the latest revision drivers?

If not, download DDU over at Guru3d and give that a try.

fudgecakes99

Admirable
Mar 17, 2014
the problem with bloatware like norton or any active firewall protection is, if it's not in their database which chances are a ton of programs aren't it'll automatically flag it as something invasive or a threat. Imagine someone trying to eat something but every time you put the spoon towards your mouth it gets swatted away over and over again.

fudgecakes99

Admirable
Mar 17, 2014

i still wouldn't put it past norton, it's a resource hog and provides little to no protection, against anything as do most if not all spyware.

HeqGrimson

Reputable
Sep 4, 2015
I have bought everything I have on this PC. I do not support piracy. Only weird thing is, I activated my Windows 10 twice and it still gives me the "Activate Windows" watermark. If this is Windows' anti-piracy thing, why doesn't it block other steam games?

fudgecakes99

Admirable
Mar 17, 2014

depends how did you activate your windows? Did you upgrade from an old pc and build a new one? Was the old pc a prebuilt free upgrade, if so then you never really upgrade it. Pre-built pc's that are used to upgrade essentially new hardware with an old windows 7 key are usually bound to the old tech no real way around it unless you downgrade to windows 7 on the new rig, then upgrade to windows 10.

HeqGrimson

Reputable
Sep 4, 2015
I've now learned that it's beyond Norton and Windows Firewall.. I uninstalled Norton completely and turned off Firewall, did not work. Could it be my Ram or do I need to update my BIOS?

spagalicious

Distinguished
Try the following. From what you are describing, it sounds like the issue lies within software/drivers.

- Remove your graphics card and boot into windows using the hdmi output and integrated graphics

- Start a game and let it run for awhile, if the game does not crash within the timeframe you experienced previously, the problem exists with your catalyst drivers or with your physical graphics card.

- I did not see a clear answer on whether you have used DDU or a similar cleaning utility to wipe your drivers and registry entries of cataylst/amd drivers. It is important to fully clean the system of software/drivers that may be causing a problem. Please perform a full wipe of your drivers and do a fresh install of the latest revision drivers.

-If you are still experiencing problems with crashing after you have wiped drivers and performed the above, the problem is most likely hardware related. You may want to look at RMA'ing your card but only after you have verified the drivers are not causing the problem.

It could also be an issue with your copy of windows. If you have a legitmate copy and key for windows 10, there should be no reason your OS should be indicating otherwise. This should actually be your first priority. Contact microsoft support and include your windows key and describe your situation.

You can't drive a car without a license, you'll want to get your software issues taken care of before attempting to troubleshoot hardware. Also when hardware fails (graphics cards in particular), they fail. The fact that you are able to play games for a period of time with normal temperatures and clocks suggests the problem is not hardware related.

Hopefully this helps

Solution

jklw10

Commendable
Jul 13, 2016

one does not simply remove the gpu from an apu :D