[SOLVED] Program to check how much power each component is drawing

Grayy_

Distinguished
Feb 22, 2015
Says it in the title, any programs that can tell me how much power each componnent is drawing? I had a PSU that blew up on me, replaced it with a new one. so want to make sure it was the psu and not anything else that was over drawing power.

Solution
When you open HWiNFO64 sensors, you'll be presented with a long list of items. Anything with a lightening bolt next to it is a power reading (might be volts, amps, watts). To see your CPU power usage, double click on "CPU Package Power" and to see GPU power usage double click on "GPU Core Power" and/or "GPU Chip Power" (you'll have to check to make sure one of these doesn't include the other) and "GPU VRM Power In"(again check to make sure this isn't already included in one/both of the previous GPU power readings I mentioned.
When you open HWiNFO64 sensors, you'll be presented with a long list of items. Anything with a lightening bolt next to it is a power reading (might be volts, amps, watts). To see your CPU power usage, double click on "CPU Package Power" and to see GPU power usage double click on "GPU Core Power" and/or "GPU Chip Power" (you'll have to check to make sure one of these doesn't include the other) and "GPU VRM Power In"(again check to make sure this isn't already included in one/both of the previous GPU power readings I mentioned.

Solution

Grayy_

Distinguished
Feb 22, 2015
Thanks a million man really appreciate that!

FYI, a "Kill-a-Watt" meter cost $15 and is a foolproof way of measuring total system power draw (including PSU [in]efficiency). You then multiply by your PSU efficiency to get actual power draw.

That will capture storage drive power, system fans, mobo power draw as well (even though those things are much less than CPU+GPU)