[SOLVED] Programmer / Web Development PC Build

Jan 27, 2019
I'm first year computer science student and I need a PC for programming, what kind of PC do I need? Should I use 2 monitor or large monitor? my budget around $1200.

Solution

iaminsensible

Proper
Jan 1, 2019
Are you looking to buy a pre-built PC or purchase the parts and build it on your own? About the Monitors; I highly recommend purchasing 2 Monitors but you can also purchase 1 ultrawide (And split it, if that's an available feature). I, as an intermediate programmer, find dual monitors very helpful, especially when I am trying to solve an issue and want to have Visual Studio on my main monitor and a tutorial site on the other. Or maybe if I want to code in Javascript and want to have live debugging, I have Visual Studio on my main and the web browser on the other.

Jan 27, 2019

What is your computer specification? Do I need discrete graphic card or Integrated (Intel HD/Vega) enough? Optimum RAM size? I'm trying to build my own because pre-built seems overpriced.

iaminsensible

Proper
Jan 1, 2019

Well, my computer is not a great example because it is overkill (i9 9900K, 2080ti, 32 GB RAM). You do not need any crazy PC builds but you do need a strong CPU. The thing with your programming "style" is that you can use online compilers (such as codepen.io) that will help you with designing and building your own Site from scratch. Though from my experience and contacts, most web developers I know, locally host their sites before purchasing an online VPN (or similar) and they use programs such as Visual Studio to create their websites. Those two do require a medium-range PC (i7 8700K, 8/16 GB RAM, 990ti).

In regard to your question about the Graphics card, unless you design the website's UI (using photoshop or other similar programs) then I would highly recommend purchasing a dedicated one. Just remember to not go crazy on this, web development is not heavy-weight (such as graphics animations or game development).

Solution
Jan 27, 2019

Thanks for the help

TRENDING THREADS