Programming for Kids

Status
Not open for further replies.

Pipsfc

Distinguished
Jul 20, 2014
Hello all! My 11 year old son has taken an interest in possibly starting programming as a hobby. I love the fact he wants to do this and I know it spawns from his time playing Minecraft. Being able to accommodate this desire of his is a big deal for me as I have had some very basic knowledge and experience in school programming myself. So being the awesome dad that I am, I'm trying to determine what would be best to use to get him started?

As I said, my knowledge and experience is very limited in programming, so I want something that can help him but also help me to help him. Does anyone have a suggestion of a good beginner program for him (and me)? I've seen some people suggest Python, and it looks great, but I wanted to pick the brains of the experienced here.

USAFRet

Titan
Perl is a good choice.

And remember, learning to program is not tied to a language.
It is more like learning to speak, vs not being able to speak.
Once you learn the concepts of speaking (or programming), learning a new language is momumentally easier.
If you already know how English works, it is relatively easy to learn Spanish.

Pipsfc

Distinguished
Jul 20, 2014
Perl is a good choice.

And remember, learning to program is not tied to a language.
It is more like learning to speak, vs not being able to speak.
Once you learn the concepts of speaking (or programming), learning a new language is momumentally easier.
If you already know how English works, it is relatively easy to learn Spanish.
That's a good way of looking at it. I think Perl will be our choice. I appreciate the help!

Status
Not open for further replies.