Programs Closing Immediately after Launching

ranger133x

Honorable
Jan 9, 2014
For some reason programs are closing instantly after I launch them. It appears to primarily affect Windows 10 system based software (any app in the Win 10 settings) *EDIT* Windows Notifications is saying I need to restart to fix drive errors, but it doesn't fix it.

Additionally, when I try to launch other programs they will start to load but then hang up.

Older versions of windows management stuff seems to work (cmd prompt, Services, programs and features, etc.) Additionally Chrome works.

Any idea what could be causing this or what steps I should use to troubleshoot?

A couple of suggestions:

go to system restore. If you have restore points available, select one from before you recall this problem started and revert to it

or, use Windows Reset feature in settings. You have the option to keep your files but will have to re-install non-Store apps

ranger133x

Honorable
Jan 9, 2014
Ok I found a fix. Steps listed below.

1) Run command prompt as administrator (Start Menu -> type "cmd" -> right click "Command Prompt" -> Click "Run as Administrator")
2) Type: sfc /scannow
3) Press enter
4) Wait for scan to complete. It should tell you in the last few lines if any issues were found. (Mine said it found issues but some were not fixed)
5) In command prompt type: dism /online /cleanup-image /scanhealth
6) Press Enter.
7) Wait for process to complete
8) dism /online /cleanup-image /checkhealth
9) Press Enter.
10) Wait for process to complete
11) dism /online /cleanup-image /restorehealth
12) Press Enter.
13) Wait for process to complete
14) Reboot PC
15) Repeat all to see if you can clear up everything.

ranger133x

Honorable
Jan 9, 2014

I don't have a restore point as of yet (new build). I need to create one, but I was trying to get everything installed first...I know...shame on me :( should have created one every time I made a change, but I was lazy and excited to hurry and get things set up (Look where that got me...a whole evening of troubleshooting because I didn't want to do the reset).

I may still have to reset...I got the issue fixed, but sfc scan is still showing corrupted files...MEH!

Glad you fixed your problem. I'd heard of that option though it seems in my searching often finds nothing or doesn't help. Still, worth a shot

ranger133x

Honorable
Jan 9, 2014

Yea, almost any time I have ever tried that scan it has never found anything.