[SOLVED] Programs only work when i install them in C: drive

Shubham_K

Reputable
Mar 1, 2017
When i install games and programs via steam or offline installer. They only work if i install them in my C: drive and when i try to install the m in other drives like E: or F: , they show error when i start them like .dll files missing error, failed to launch launcher.dll or it doesn't do anything when i start.
But as i move them in C: drive they work fine.
This problem is big for me because now i dont have space in C: drive.
Sorry for bad english.
Please help.

Solution
Steam games do NOT have to be on the same drive or partition as the Steam client

Steam games location
In the steam client:
Steam
Settings
Downloads
Steam Library Folders
Add library folder
q24sFfe.png

To move an already installed game
Games library
Right click the game
Properties
Local Files
Move Install Folder

Colif

Win 11 Master
Have you tried scanning the health of the other drive? I would check its SMART score as if drive is going bad, you can get weird errors.

What are details/specs of the PC?
What ssd/hdd do you have? who makes them as some companies have drive testing software for their equipment.

Jerry Beard

Honorable
May 11, 2015
When i install games and programs via steam or offline installer. They only work if i install them in my C: drive and when i try to install the m in other drives like E: or F: , they show error when i start them like .dll files missing error, failed to launch launcher.dll or it doesn't do anything when i start.
But as i move them in C: drive they work fine.
This problem is big for me because now i dont have space in C: drive.
Sorry for bad english.
Please help.
I don't know if its just Steam, but I had offered to get my son a second drive for him to install more steam games on and he said they had to be installed on the same drive as Steam, that others had reported them not running, or running correctly if they were on another drive. Don't know if you were to remove steam and put it on the other drive if that might fix it or not, or if that might make all of them mess up. I'd try it though.(if you haven't already)

USAFRet

Titan
Steam games do NOT have to be on the same drive or partition as the Steam client

Steam games location
In the steam client:
Steam
Settings
Downloads
Steam Library Folders
Add library folder
q24sFfe.png

To move an already installed game
Games library
Right click the game
Properties
Local Files
Move Install Folder

Solution

Colif

Win 11 Master
Not needing to be on same drive is a benefit of Steam, it also means that if you reinstall win 10 on C, you can still point the Game library location at the old drive and it saves downloading games again. Unlike Microsoft Store which could really do with that feature.

USAFRet

Titan
Not needing to be on same drive is a benefit of Steam, it also means that if you reinstall win 10 on C, you can still point the Game library location at the old drive and it saves downloading games again. Unlike Microsoft Store which could really do with that feature.
A year or so ago, another member also said you can't install Steam games on different drives.
I showed him the above pic.
I also installed a couple of games on my QNAP NAS, just to see if it could be done.

Steam just needs to see a drive letter. It absolutely does not care where that is. In that cse, the N drive...just a mapped drive letter.
Of course, game performance across the LAN was substandard, but it worked.
He accused me of faking that and maintained that it could NOT be done.
I laughed...