Project Ara Looks Less Like Vaporware, Launches Spiral 2 Hardware

Status
Not open for further replies.

Mike Friesen

Honorable
Apr 10, 2013
I am very excited to see how this turns out.

In the early dev stages, I was hoping that it would be made real; Google was behind it, but the Google glass thing has kinda disappeared, and I figured this would too. But a roadmap with a release this year makes me think differently. Kudos, Google.

bit_user

Polypheme
Ambassador
I'm worried we're going to get a bunch of proprietary hardware modules that can only be used by proprietary apps. Someone please give me a reason to think otherwise.

Also, what's the max bandwidth supported by UniPro or whatever bus they're using? I read about a GPU module, but it seems to me that the communication speed is probably much slower than that of GPUs integrated with the CPU. Same goes for RAM modules.

bustapr

Distinguished
Jan 23, 2009
its a smart move to do this in PR. Since they are using two local carriers (claro is latin american, but its local in US) they have a contained environment for research. There will be less confusion, less people buying it from around the US trying to activate it on a big carrier. in short, less headaches and scams.

Cant wait to see the hippie trucks in the area when they arrive xD

RunLuke

Reputable
Dec 8, 2014
I have been skeptical since the first concepts and still am. There's a myriad if issues from technical ones to supply chain ones to consumer ones that I won't list and people here are probably already aware of.

However I hope I'm proved wrong.

Status
Not open for further replies.