Project Blackbird - $3000 Video & Editing Desktop for (my) Startup Clothing Company

indirectMW

Reputable
Aug 26, 2014
Hey guys,
I've chosen my parts based on my next step which is to make my own clothing company. I am going to be doing all the video editing and design myself, hence the reason for this desktop. My current system I've put together after a month of research is below with all my reasoning behind the choice. I'm going to be editing large HD video and large vector images both using Adobe products; gaming is not a priority.

E: I live in Australia hence the higher prices and you can click on the products titles and be taken to their page.

CPU - i7 5820K
I upgraded from the 6700 to the 5820K because of the 2 extra cores, having an older generation card doesn't really effect me because once it becomes obsolete I'll just get upgrade and stick it in the family desktop. As long as it lasts 2+ years with OCing I'll be happy.

CPU Cooler - Cooler Master Hyper 212X
I chose the Cooler Master Hyper 212X because it is a very high rated cost efficient CPU cooler and I eventually plan on OCing my CPU when it starts to lessen in performance.

Motherboard - Asus X99-A
Decided to get the Asus x99-A over the Deluxe since it has pretty much everything I can ask for, although lacking built in wifi which the Deluxe has. Do you think getting a cheaper motherboard and just adding in a wifi adapter would be a wiser option for price? I've also heard the Deluxe is much easier to use?

Wifi Adapter - TP-Link Archer T9E AC1900 Dual Band PCI Express Adapter
Put in for the lack of built in wifi on the motherboard plus I can use it on my future mobo if it lacks AC.

Memory - G.Skill 32G (4x8G) F4-2400C15Q-32GNT PC4-19200 / DDR4 2400 Mhz
I boosted the 16GB ram to 32GB to utilise the quad channel that comes with the 5820K, the performance from it really shines through the minuscule price increase. I don't think I need heatsinks on them but do tell me if you recommend against.

OS + Program Drive - Samsung SSD 2.5inch 7mm SATA 256GB 850 PRO
Placed in the 256GB Samsung PRO SSD to use for OS and programs, opted for it over the 512GB because new technology such as M.2 will be my next upgrade.

Scratch Drive - Samsung 500GB SSD 850 EVO
The Samsung 500GB EVO is to act purely as a scratch disk, I first had the 120GB instead but soon realised that wouldn't work with video editing due to size. I went for the EVO since long life isn't needed since my next upgrade will be to a M.2 drive and no files are being stored on there long term.

Media Drive - 2x Western Digital WD10EZEX Blue 1TB
I'm buying one Blue 1TB HDD to act as the media drive and the other to RAID 1 with it, once they fill up I'll just buy more and possibly chuck the full drives in an external NAS. I would go for the 2TB Blues but they only spin at 5400RPM and not 7200RPM.

Export Drive - Western Digital WD30EZRZ Blue 3TB
The WD Blue 3TB is to act as the export drive hence the reason I'm not worried about getting a 5400RPM drive. No real need to back it up since from what I understand you keep all the PSDs on the media drive. I would of gone for the 2TB but for $25 more I couldn't reason why not.

GPU - MSI GeForce GTX 970 Gaming 4GB
Upgraded the MSI GeForce 970 GTX to the version with better fans because the price is $20< and there aren't really any cons for such. I will OC once the performance starts to drop towards the end of its life.

Case - Fractal Design Define R5 USB3.0 Mid Tower Case Black
I've chosen the FA R5 case because it sports an extremely simple and streamlined aesthetic plus is also a tad bigger than the R4 which should make it easier to build in. The airflow appears to be good from reviews and I really do like the simply black look, hence the reason my build is called Project Blackbird.

PSU - eVGA 220-G2-0750-XR 750W G2 80+ Gold Full Modular

PSU wise there isn't really anything that stands out at this price range. The Evga has quality components and his highly rated (gold) and paired with the 750Watt output should allow me to do a few upgrades to my build before upgrading the PSU itself.

OS - Microsoft Windows 10 Home 32bit/64bit USB Flash Drive
Win 10 Home was a pretty easy choice seeing as Pro doesn't offer me any advantages that I can use, chose USB over DVD because it appears not to be OEM for the same price. Although, I could though be wrong but I see no advantage of getting the DVD over it OEM or not.

Keyboard - Corsair Raptor Series K30 Gaming Keyboard new version

The keyboard I selected has some really decent reviews and isn't too flashy for my liking, I'll add in a wrist rest myself. Not really much to say about this part plus it has macros which is something I wanted.

Mouse - Logitech G602 Wireless Gaming Mouse
Now, the mouse took a fair amount of research but I'm pretty sure the Logitech G602 over the Logitech MX Master is the right choice. Simply because of its customisability and button configuration. Do you have a mouse preference or a personal bias over either one?

Monitor
Oh and finally onto the monitor or monitors... so many choices. I've decided I want to most preferably get two or more 23/4 inch 1920x1080 screens over a single 24 inch 1440p or single 27 inch 1920x10 or 1440p screen. No screen is present because I feel the best way to get the right one is to see them with my own eyes, a choice which should pay off hopefully!

Thanks for taking your time to get this far, I really would appreciate all the help I can get and am looking forward to your replies, recommendations and reviews! :)

g-unit1111

Titan
I'm curious - if gaming isn't a high priority why not go with a Xeon E3 and a Fire Pro W or Quaddro K? If you're rendering that setup would make a lot more sense than buying gaming hardware.

PCPartPicker part list / Price breakdown by merchant

CPU: Intel Xeon E3-1245 V5 3.5GHz Quad-Core Processor ($449.00 @ CPL Online)
CPU Cooler: CRYORIG H7 49.0 CFM CPU Cooler ($55.00 @ PCCaseGear)
Motherboard: Gigabyte GA-X150-PLUS WS ATX LGA1151 Motherboard ($219.00 @ CPL Online)
Memory: G.Skill TridentZ Series 16GB (2 x 8GB) DDR4-3200 Memory ($149.00 @ IJK)
Storage: Samsung 950 PRO 256GB M.2-2280 Solid State Drive ($269.00 @ CPL Online)
Storage: Western Digital BLACK SERIES 2TB 3.5" 7200RPM Internal Hard Drive ($175.00 @ Centre Com)
Storage: Western Digital BLACK SERIES 2TB 3.5" 7200RPM Internal Hard Drive ($175.00 @ Centre Com)
Case: Phanteks Enthoo Pro ATX Full Tower Case ($139.00 @ PCCaseGear)
Power Supply: EVGA 750W 80+ Gold Certified Fully-Modular ATX Power Supply ($155.00 @ PCCaseGear)
Total: $1785.00
Prices include shipping, taxes, and discounts when available
Generated by PCPartPicker 2016-03-31 12:53 AEDT+1100

I can't find the right GPU but that should give you some idea.

indirectMW

Reputable
Aug 26, 2014

First of, thanks for replying! I found the Intel Xeon E5-2620V3 and the results when compared to the 5820K are almost identical except in the benchmarks (here). One major fall I see in the Xeon is the lack of 2133 support and in terms of editing that can make a substantial difference... Help on this one would be great as I am now torn between the two!

Now, onto the Quadro cards. The best one I found for 100 above my current selection the GTX 970 was the K2200. The results from UserBenchmarks are slightly concerning to say the least. Also, after looking through my part config I've swapped my drive configuration to the below setup which I would really like to hear your thoughts on!

OS + Program Drive - 256GB Samsung 950 PRO
-- Upgraded to the 950 in order to not have an obsolete drive in terms of speed towards the future and to also boost speed now.

[strike]Scratch Drive - 500GB Samsung 850 EVO[/strike]
-- If my performance isn't where I want it to be a scratch disk will be added.

Media Drive - 2x 1TB Western Digital Black w/ RAID0
-- I chose RAID0 over RAID1 to boost the speed of the Media drive and selected WD Black to ensure higher stability/less failure.

Export Drive - 4x 1TB Western Digital Blue w/ RAID0
--- I've placed 4TB since I won't be backing this drive up and consequently don't want it filling up. I could of gone with 2x 2TB at 5400RPM but for only 2x the failure rate decided that 4x 1TB at 7200RPM was a smarter choice.

Backup Drive - 4TB Western Digital My Book
-- Instead of RAID1(ing) my Media drive I've realised that having a separate drive that I can also back up my OS + Program drive to is a better solution for file security. It's external because my current case only supports 8 drives and if I choose to add in a scratch disk I can.

Again, I really appreciate you taking the time to look over my build and help and I definitely want to hear your opinion on Xeon E5 2620 v3 vs i7 5820K plus my new drive setup. Thanks in advance!