Project Fiona Now the Razer Edge: A Full-on Gaming Tablet

Status
Not open for further replies.

elcentral

Distinguished
Apr 19, 2010
so the pro only got enhanced on all the unnecessary parts and not the Gpu?
but this is how a gaming touch screen should be like, if i did not own a Asus padfone i could haw easily gone for one. but its not to hard to make your own hand held gaming device from a 10" touch screen.

bjaminnyc

Distinguished
Jun 17, 2011
[citation][nom]elcentral[/nom]so the pro only got enhanced on all the unnecessary parts and not the Gpu?but this is how a gaming touch screen should be like, if i did not own a Asus padfone i could haw easily gone for one. but its not to hard to make your own hand held gaming device from a 10" touch screen.[/citation]

No mention of resolution, but I'm guessing whatever it is the 640 is more than capable.

[citation][nom]bjaminnyc[/nom]No mention of resolution, but I'm guessing whatever it is the 640 is more than capable.[/citation]

the 640M will be the most powerful GPU a tablet has ever seen. on the Razer website they said 1366x768, so the 640 will indeed be capable of playing whatever you'd want at that resolution.

Although the resolution leaves a lot to be desired at 10.1", it is an IPS panel. all in all, this is what a windows 8 tablet should be like, and among gamers, it should be fairly popular. hell, I'm considering getting it as a tablet that can fulfill my LAN party needs

bjaminnyc

Distinguished
Jun 17, 2011
[citation][nom]vmem[/nom]the 640M will be the most powerful GPU a tablet has ever seen. on the Razer website they said 1366x768, so the 640 will indeed be capable of playing whatever you'd want at that resolution. Although the resolution leaves a lot to be desired at 10.1", it is an IPS panel. all in all, this is what a windows 8 tablet should be like, and among gamers, it should be fairly popular. hell, I'm considering getting it as a tablet that can fulfill my LAN party needs[/citation]

The 640 ought to provide decent FPS on a 1080p external monitor. I agree its a sexy actually useful solution, most tablets are just big phones.

Ragnar-Kon

Distinguished
Apr 13, 2010
Eh, probably won't get it. But I honestly... would rather buy this than the Microsoft Surface Pro (I know the two are aimed at different markets, but still).

If the "Pro" version came with a GT650M, then we might be in business.

[citation][nom]RADIO_ACTIVE[/nom]Battery life...[/citation]

and you get better battery life on your other gaming laptop? my main concern would be how well the Nvidia optimus GPU switching works. if it works properly, you should still be able to get ~10 hours of regular tablet usage reading the news, checking emails, watching videos etc.

magicandy

Distinguished
Jun 8, 2008
The fact that they were willing to directly mention price but not mention battery life at all frankly scares me. The price seems about right for the power you're getting, but I'm not sure I'd want to plunk down $1000+ for something that will hardly be able to last my breaks at work without needing to be plugged in.

I'm glad all versions of this are full Windows 8, though. Even just an i5 should be fine for most games coupled with that not-so-hot GPU (but amazing for a tablet). Not sure you'll see much performance gain going from an i5 to an i7 without changing the GPU. Seems like the only real benefit of the Pro model is the larger SSD and bigger memory pool (but honestly for a tablet 4GB is more than enough).

hate machine

Honorable
Jun 14, 2012
Planning on buying a Surface Pro (It covers pretty much all my steam games as my existing Elitebook with an i5 and HD 3000 can handle them all)

However, if the battery life is at least 4-5 hours and the screen res is 1080 I will opt for this instead. I ain't holding my breath though.

Kevin you should note on your post that the Keyboard is 199.99, the Gamepad (LOL who wants this console garbage) is 249.99 and the AIO docking station is 99.99.

Also that the Pro model starts at 1249.99.

This thing is going to have quite a price on it.

rebel1280

Distinguished
May 7, 2011
Hmmm, this is something i have been looking forward to for a long time! As far as power goes, who would want to play on this for more than a 3-4 hours? The battery should last at least that long. I would totally use this for lunch breaks and short gaming sessions on the bus/train/airport or lame parties :D

fuzzion

Distinguished
Feb 4, 2012
[citation][nom]hate machine[/nom]Kevin you should note on your post that the Keyboard is 199.99, the Gamepad (LOL who wants this console garbage) is 249.99 and the AIO docking station is 99.99.Also that the Pro model starts at 1249.99.This thing is going to have quite a price on it.[/citation]

If that is true then they just smashed past credible price points.

Status
Not open for further replies.