Project Morpheus Almost Complete

Status
Not open for further replies.

everlast66

Distinguished
Oct 7, 2009
In some of their previous announcements they metioned the Morpheus will be compatable with PC as well. Is this still the case, seems this might be slipping away with the PS4 camera requirement ...

universal remonster

Distinguished
Nov 23, 2011
I just received my Oculus DK2 before the weekend, and as neat as these HMD are, I do have to say that 960x1080 per eye (which the Rift also has) is not enough. The pixels are definitely visible and noticeable when the screen is only an inch away from your eyes. Looking at the Unreal Engine 4 demos that are available for it, it is kind of disappointing that for all of the super high res textures they use, you just cannot see really fine detail unless you get up close to objects. Also, one thing that I hope changes from the DK2 with Morpheus (or any HMD by any company) is how wide of view you have. On the Rift, the vertical view seems far enough that the top and bottom are out of view when looking forward, but side to side does not cover your peripheral vision so it feels like tunnel vision. I think Oculus is right in pushing back their consumer version for as long as it takes for the screen tech to catch up with higher pixel density instead of taking Sony's route and release with the best available screens today. Still looking forward to where this tech goes and would really like to play the next Gran Turismo with a Morpheus and steering wheel.

computerguy72

Distinguished
Sep 22, 2011
The Morpheus will be like a lot of other VR attempts - a piece of hardware with a few tech demos for it. They should think of somehow striking a deal with Oculus so they can get access to the large library of software they are building. If Sony puts this hardware out there with basically nothing and few prospects it will be a glorified doorstop no matter how good it is.

gregor

Distinguished
Sep 20, 2004
@universal remonsterer. Sounds like a job for an extra wide curved/flexible display. Although that would probably make it pretty expensive.

ZolaIII

Distinguished
Sep 26, 2013
The display technology is not a big problem, from density to curved ones. We are about to have & first 120 HZ IPS displays. All of this is needed but not & crucial. The thing that is lagging & far behind is GPUs from row processing power to needed response latencies not to mention need for more advanced lighting techniques. All do Nv & Imagination are doing some steps into the right direction concerning lighting we will need to wait a much longer for GPUs to met all conditions on desirable level. So don't expect much anytime soon!

DefCello

Reputable
Sep 8, 2014
Glad to see more companies getting into the VR market! It should only increase the technology's credibility if they even do a half-decent job with it. I just hope for the sake of VR gaming that Sony gets some insane software support for this on their PS4. Otherwise, it may be too little too early and will smother rather than fuel the hype engine.

I've crunched the numbers and at least for the Rift you need AT LEAST a 4k display to even begin competing with the DPI of 1080p desktop monitors. The perceived size of the display is just that big! Moving on, you would need a 4k display for each eye to compete with 1440p offerings, and a >8k display for each eye to compete with 4k display DPI.

Even at the lower DPI of console gaming, you're going to need at least 1440p to compensate for the expanded viewing angles.

Oculus Rift is doing it right. If you want new tech to be successful, you have to take your time and deliver a top-quality product, though the publicly available "Dev Kits" are a stroke of genius. The same can be said for HL2 Episode 3. We are impatient, but we tolerate it because we know that when it releases it will be amazing. :D

f-14

Distinguished
still 1D. it's the same sketchy tech as the VR glasses sold in the 90's that stereo scoped the games. i still have those glasses designed for Win98, Millenium and XP games.
i keep them around just to knock oculous and any other VR claims back out into the psycho (LSD) drug world. 1950's tech no matter how they play it on 1D. real 3D is just that when computer programmers design games for 9D then they will probably be 3D.

top bottom left right forward backwards and inside planes 4 axis is required to make 3D, impossible on a flat 1D screen. if you immersed yourself into a fish tank that would be more 3D than any claims made by computer programmers. VR is nothing more than a horror of fun house mirrors

none12345

Distinguished
Apr 27, 2013
These things need to be a curved screen larger then your field of view. They also need a maximum latency of a couple milliseconds. And they need massive resolution improvements.

At 4 inches from your eye, 20/20 vision can see about 2000 pixels per inch, the legal standard for 20/20 vision is 876 dots per inch at 4 inches. Ideally you want these things as close to the eye as possible, but the average adult has trouble focusing at less then 4 inches from the eye. Children can focus down to around 2 inches. So, thats why im using 4 inches.

Even using the legal standard rather then what the average 20/20 person can see at that distance, and assuming about a 12 inch curved screen(at 4 inches my field of view is larger then this, i duno exactly how large a human field of view is at this distance), you need a resolution of 10500 pixels by 7000 at least. Probably a good bit larger. Tho the resolution at the extreme of your field of vision doesnt have to be as good. So they can fudge it and it will still look fine if they wanted to.

These things have a LONG way to go before they fill your field of view without pixels being visible. Even a 4k screen at 4 inches isnt going to cut it. The 1080p screen is not even close to cutting it.

David Shoemaker

Reputable
Sep 25, 2014
I am always a bit amazed at all the negative comment that pop up with VR technology. No offense to the previous comments but commenting on how the current generation is not going to be good enough, even before it is out, is pretty short sighted.

PS4, PS5, or any PS of the future will not be top of the line. PS4 currently runs $400. a decked out Alienware Aurora cost $3,800. There is a world of difference between console and Gaming Computers. This being said, you have to understand that VR for the PlayStation is going to be limited.

However, it can still provide a unique experience that can be both fun and successful. Everything needs a starting point. Technology gets better as it develops the atari 2600 to ColecoVison to Nintendo to Playstation and on.. If it wasn't for the previous we would not have what we do today. Morpheous or Oculus Rift may not be the ultimate VR but they are a starting point. There is a world of potential yet to be discovered, so I am happy there are those who are developing things and exploring new possibilities.

David Shoemaker

Reputable
Sep 25, 2014
I am always a bit amazed at all the negative comment that pop up with VR technology. No offense to the previous comments but commenting on how the current generation is not going to be good enough, even before it is out, is pretty short sighted.

PS4, PS5, or any PS of the future will not be top of the line. PS4 currently runs $400. a decked out Alienware Aurora cost $3,800. There is a world of difference between console and Gaming Computers. This being said, you have to understand that VR for the PlayStation is going to be limited.

However, it can still provide a unique experience that can be both fun and successful. Everything needs a starting point. Technology gets better as it develops the atari 2600 to ColecoVison to Nintendo to Playstation and on.. If it wasn't for the previous we would not have what we do today. Morpheous or Oculus Rift may not be the ultimate VR but they are a starting point. There is a world of potential yet to be discovered, so I am happy there are those who are developing things and exploring new possibilities.

Status
Not open for further replies.