Prolonging a failing hard disk's life span

Aravind92

Distinguished
Apr 1, 2014
Hey guys,

I recently started having severe slowdons in the pc, HDD bought in 2014(heavily used).

I refreshed my windows 10 install(upragded from windows 7 which was installed in 2014 and has undergone lot of hardware changes since(including the motherboard) and things got better, still not as good as it used to be.

Game load times worsened big time. seatools said everything was fine. Used crystaldisk info 2 days back and found 490 reallocated sectors count(caution). Got an SSD and cloned. everything is gr8 now.

Here's the ques:

Since getting the SSD, I have formatted the HDD entirely after taking a backup in ext HDD. Both quick and long formats in windows.
Ran the Long fix all too in seatools. Passed.Passes everyother test.

After all this the trasfer rate is around 32 mb/s. I am able to open files and all that is fine. However, the reallocated sectors count has gone up to 1800 now. Is it beacause of all the reformatting and fix al I did using seatools?

At this stage , Is it safe(as in will it work fine) to install some large games on the HDD and are there anyways to prolong the lifespan of this disk?

How long do you guys think this disk will go on?

Any help is much appreciated

Update: It just went up to 2208, guess it will shit the bed soon. thanks for the responses guys.

Solution
Make backups, backups of backups and back them again, that's only protection. Just yesterday a friend of mine brought a disk with similar problem, just managed to salvage some stuff out of it before it just fell off the radar.