Question Proper fan configuration on CoolerMaster H500M

Shnuggles

Reputable
May 17, 2015
Hey everyone, so I'm building a new PC, and I have all of the parts, but I'm very confused on what would be the best fan configuration for this build and hoping you guys can help me. I'll link you guys the full build below.

https://pcpartpicker.com/list/2XqfbX

So the CPU is being cooled by the Corsair H115i RGB Platinum, however, do I want to put the radiato fans inside the case under the bracket or would I want the fans to be on top of the bracket having the fans not visible from inside the case which is what I was wanting. Ideally I want the radiator fans to push the hot air outside of the case. I'm not even sure if this makes any sense, the way I'm wording it. I think a better way to put it is basically... I'm also not sure what "push/pull" configuration is. I'm not even sure what push or pull means in terms of fans.

(This thread is MAINLY about the water cooler fans, but I would also like to know the best fan configuration for all of the fans in this case, the 2 big fans the case comes with, and any extra fans I could or should buy)

I've also attached pictures of what I'm talking about in case my mumbo jumbo of a poor explanation doesn't make sense. The pictures are not mine either, these are just for example purposes.

Would I want the fans on top of the bracket like shown below?
1824741-n27.jpg

Or would I want them inside of the case like this instead? And if so, would this fan set up be okay to have the fans exhausting the hot air outside?
46915114_976724045848622_8442899821189187759_n.jpg

Basically I'm hoping one of you guys would be kind enough to dumb this down for me a bit and let me know the most optimal way to cool this system.

Another option I'm thinking about doing is buying 2 extra LL140 Corsair fans and putting 2 fans inside the case on the radiator, and 2 fans outside on top of the bracket, but not in a push pull configuration, but instead just having 4 fans all exhausting the air outside of the case.

Thank you everyone, I know this was probably painful to read, but I'm a bit of a noob and I apologize, this is only my second computer build in 5 years.

EDIT: I'd like to stay away from push pull if I have to put the fans at different RPMs, as I'd rather just keep all of the fans at the exact same RPM's. If push-pull config is possible with all fans staying at the same RPM then I'm fine with push-pull config

Last edited:
If that picture shows all of them as intake,that's no good. Whole idea is to have as much airflow over as many parts as possible.
Normal config would be
Front/bottom as intake
Top/back as exhaust.
Radiator fans are best off blowing thru radiator, that's why they are made to have higher static pressure than case fans.