Proposed NAS/Server build....thoughts?

Apr 4, 2018
I’ve run media servers before but it was years ago. After they died, I relied on WD TV Live boxes with hard drives attached to play movies/shows. But the WD box has become slow and kinda obsolete since it won’t play new codex’s.

Along the way I bought wifi speakers and started using my main desktop as a Sonos music server. Then my drive in that unit failed so now I have to rebuild/upgrade that unit. And on it goes.

I’m fed up with all of that and now I want to consolidate all my movies and music to one Plex/Sonos server running Windows 10 and Storage Spaces with parity. One feature I’m very keen on is hot swappable drives because I don’t want to crack open the machine in case of drive failure (happens to me too frequently).

After checking the off-the-shelf NAS’s, I found them under-powered and too expensive for what they offer. And I figure if I’m going to build a new unit, I might as well give it enough horsepower to do the occasional video editing I do.

So I decided to build my own.

But it’s been a long while since I did a build. A set of new, fresh and experienced eyes on my proposed solution would set my mind at ease before I start buying parts. Any advice and input would be appreciated.

I’ve been researching and using PCPartPicker and this is what I’ve come up with:

PCPartPicker part list: https://ca.pcpartpicker.com/list/WzHMZR

CPU: Intel - Core i7-8700K 3.7GHz 6-Core Processor ($463.50 @ shopRBC)
CPU Cooler: Scythe - BIG Shuriken 2 Rev. B 45.5 CFM Sleeve Bearing CPU Cooler
Motherboard: ASRock - Z370M-ITX/ac Mini ITX LGA1151 Motherboard ($195.99 @ Newegg Canada)
Memory: Crucial - 16GB (1 x 16GB) DDR4-2133 Memory ($194.23 @ Mike's Computer Shop)
Storage: Samsung - 860 Evo 500GB 2.5" Solid State Drive ($189.50 @ Vuugo)
Storage: Western Digital - Red 4TB 3.5" 5400RPM Internal Hard Drive ($154.00 @ Mike's Computer Shop)
Storage: Western Digital - Red 4TB 3.5" 5400RPM Internal Hard Drive ($154.00 @ Mike's Computer Shop)
Other: NORCO ITX-S8 Black Black Mini-ITX Form Computer Storage Case ($249.99 @ Newegg Canada)

Total: $1909.21

Solution
Windows 10 is a poor choice for an always-on device. You have little control over when it reboots because of patch updates.
A single 16GB DIMM is a bad choice for a system that you pay extra for a K CPU and Z motherboard. You lose 1/2 the memory bandwidth.
WIFI on a server/NAS is useless extra cost. If it isn't wired you are wasting your money.

I would recommend you separate your server duties from your desktop and have platforms optimized for each.

kanewolf

Titan
Windows 10 is a poor choice for an always-on device. You have little control over when it reboots because of patch updates.
A single 16GB DIMM is a bad choice for a system that you pay extra for a K CPU and Z motherboard. You lose 1/2 the memory bandwidth.
WIFI on a server/NAS is useless extra cost. If it isn't wired you are wasting your money.

I would recommend you separate your server duties from your desktop and have platforms optimized for each.

Solution

CloudGuy1105

Reputable
Jan 14, 2015
Definitely need two sticks of memory.

ASUS ROG Strix Z370-I Gaming LGA 1151 (300 Series) Intel Z370 HDMI SATA 6Gb/s USB 3.1 Mini ITX Intel Motherboard this motherboard is a better choice has better sound etc. Plus it's about 20 cheaper on Newegg.