Question Protected Management Frames

QuiGonJohn

Honorable
Jun 26, 2017
Can anyone tell me where I can find this in an Asus RT -AX88U Pro? Looked thru lots of menus, not seeing this. I posted this in a thread that was about Protected Management Frames, but was told to post a new question.

QuiGonJohn

Honorable
Jun 26, 2017
kanewolf. I saw your message. But that seems to be the non Pro version of this router. Looking in the same place on my RT-AX88U Pro Wireless General, that line is not there.

kanewolf

Titan
kanewolf. I saw your message. But that seems to be the non Pro version of this router. Looking in the same place on my RT-AX88U Pro Wireless General, that line is not there.
If it is supported, it would have to be in the wireless tabs. It you have WPA3 enabled, then PMF is mandatory.
It is interesting that I don't see it mentioned in the manual ...
It is also unusual that Asus has so much variation in functionality in their firmware. Typically they are all the same.

Last edited:

QuiGonJohn

Honorable
Jun 26, 2017
Thanks, my version has a bunch of Tabs across top when you are in Wireless and I went thru all and didn't see it (unless I just missed it). But I do have Smart Connect on . I did a test, if I turn off Smart Connect, then for Wireless Mode, besides a Check Box for Disable 11b, I get a Check Box for "b/g Protection", could that be it?

kanewolf

Titan
Thanks, my version has a bunch of Tabs across top when you are in Wireless and I went thru all and didn't see it (unless I just missed it). But I do have Smart Connect on . I did a test, if I turn off Smart Connect, then for Wireless Mode, besides a Check Box for Disable 11b, I get a Check Box for "b/g Protection", could that be it?
No. That is not PMF. It there were an option it would be listed. It looks like Merlin firmware -- https://www.asuswrt-merlin.net/ supports that router.
If you want, you could try Merlin to see if that option is available.
Do you want to enable PMF? That generally breaks lots of things.

QuiGonJohn

Honorable
Jun 26, 2017
No, I am not looking to enable it. Been having speed issues with one laptop and it was recommended to make sure that was off. This laptop has Win 10, but it was a Dell Refurb we got in July 2019. The wireless card that came in it does not support 5Ghz. But I'm getting slower speeds on this new router than on the old Netgear (from 2012) that I replaced.

kanewolf

Titan
No, I am not looking to enable it. Been having speed issues with one laptop and it was recommended to make sure that was off. This laptop has Win 10, but it was a Dell Refurb we got in July 2019. The wireless card that came in it does not support 5Ghz. But I'm getting slower speeds on this new router than on the old Netgear (from 2012) that I replaced.
Unless you have WPA3 enabled, then PMF is off. PMF is NOT your problem.

Reactions: QuiGonJohn

kanewolf

Titan
A more likely reason isthe channel width chosen in the 2.4Ghz radio. It may be the case you can't set 40Mhz channel width. The router may choose 20Mhz because of the amount of competing WIFI.