[SOLVED] Protections

Oct 20, 2020
I have a generic question. Lets say that a psu has all these protections: OVP, UVP OPP, SCP, OCP, Input Surge & Inrush Protection, and OTP

If a wrong cable is plugged somewhere in the motherboard and the psu and motherboard don't start upon that, does that mean that the protections prevented any damage from being done both on the motherboard and the psu?

Many thanks.

Solution
I have a generic question. Lets say that a psu has all these protections: OVP, UVP OPP, SCP, OCP, Input Surge & Inrush Protection, and OTP

If a wrong cable is plugged somewhere in the motherboard and the psu and motherboard don't start upon that, does that mean that the protections prevented any damage from being done both on the motherboard and the psu?

Many thanks.
No.
Basically those protections are for the power supply.
If you connected the power supply to the motherboard in such a way that let's say....the 12V of the power supply was connected to the 3.3V on the motherboard.....the power supply wouldn't know this. and it would probably fry your motherboard.

Many thanks.
No.
Basically those protections are for the power supply.
If you connected the power supply to the motherboard in such a way that let's say....the 12V of the power supply was connected to the 3.3V on the motherboard.....the power supply wouldn't know this. and it would probably fry your motherboard.

Solution
another thing is....if the voltage on the PSU was lower than what the MB was expecting....you probably wouldn't fry the MB.

So if you took my example and reversed it....and applied 3.3V from the PSU to the 12V on the MB....I think there's a good chance nothing would happen to the MB.

Oct 20, 2020
I am trying to understand this scenario: https://superuser.com/questions/114...pin-power-cable-into-2x4pin-for-cpu-into-moth

According to one user: "if your PSU has OVP/UVP protection, then it will shut down that rail before the voltages go more or less than the socket needed (which I think it did with yours since everything is working)"

According to another: "The voltage regulator circuit (aka voltage regulator module) on your motherboard took the 'brunt' of the reversed polarity on the ground plane."

Basically this is a case of reverse polarity (12v / ground pins).

Is the PSU with such protections also protecting the motherboard from taking burn in such a scenario, or it only protects itself?

Many thanks.