Protein Folding: Your Chance To Help (and Whup AnandTech) Starting Dec 1

Page 2 - Seeking answers? Join the Tom's Hardware community: where nearly two million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Ne0Wolf7

Reputable
Jun 23, 2016

I have a core 2 duo thats folding along with my 8 thread exeon, which is very simaler to the 4790. It should work

Muchoman

Commendable
Nov 18, 2016
So all I have to do is put in the team#, 40051, and I'm all set to support Tom's for the competition yeah?

gio2vanni86

Distinguished
May 3, 2009
I want to join. This is ok for Windows users right? Havent used it in awhile but i'll boot both my machines up and get them rolling with the toms team :)

Welcome aboard and yes it works just fine on Windows.

10esseetony

Reputable
Aug 9, 2015
If you want to be on the winning team, the team number is 198. ;) In seriousness though, if you have questions/problems that have you stumped, we'll be glad to try to help anyone get the most out of their equipment at the "distributed computing" sub-forum at anandtech, as it is for the greater good.

bit_user

Polypheme
Ambassador
Thanks for the offer.

FWIW, here are links to our Graphics Cards and Networking forums:
http://www.tomshardware.com/forum/forum-33.html
http://www.tomshardware.com/forum/forum-42.html

In case anyone isn't clear on the point of Folding or the benefits of helping out:
http://folding.stanford.edu/home/the-science

gio2vanni86

Distinguished
May 3, 2009

As for the team name is it 40051? I'm bit lost on how to join the team exactly.

Ne0Wolf7

Reputable
Jun 23, 2016
If you already have it up and running, go to change identiy and put that number if for eam. Ifits not up and runnig, get it going and them change the identity. Its easy to do from the web control tab

lilcinw

Distinguished
Jan 25, 2011

The overclock.net forum has some good data on GPUs. It is mostly OC'ed numbers (who would have guessed?) but gives a good idea of what you can expect.

http://www.overclock.net/t/475163/gpu-projects-ppd-database

gio2vanni86

Distinguished
May 3, 2009
Anyone got any idea why two 980's in sli crash constantly when trying to fold. But with only one it seems to work just fine? Been trying for two days now uninstalling and reinstalling the software and that hasnt yielded any success. Tried disabling hardware acceleration on chrome and nothing yet. Any Ideas? I take that back both GPUS crash. I even disabled sli.. Still nothing. Only positive thing is i don't lose my display when it crashes with one.

What PSU are you using?

gio2vanni86

Distinguished
May 3, 2009

Cooler master 1200W Silent pro. I actually downclocked my GPU on my old pc and seems to be working great on my old one with 580 sli stock CPU/GPU. I do have a shit OC on my main PC, the GPUs are stock. You think maybe that could cause my nvidia drivers to crash? A 500MHZ crap OC. I might add it was achieved with AI suite. You may laugh if you wish i honestly been out of game for too long and said screw it, auto OC.

bit_user

Polypheme
Ambassador
I don't quite follow. Are you now saying that it crashes with either GPU A or GPU B, when each is run stand-alone?

I would say run memtest. Memory errors are a common cause of instability, and the fact that you're running an OC makes it more likely that memory errors would occur.

The other thing you could try is to run at stock clocks. For folding, I doubt the CPU clock makes much difference in GPU folding performance.

gio2vanni86

Distinguished
May 3, 2009

Yea it crashes with just one when i disable sli. Going to try to get rid of the OC and try memtest as you stated later today when i get off work. Thanks for all the quick replies, much appreciated. Hope to get it up and running for the event.

Remove the OC and don't use the latest drivers, I'm still using the 365.xx drivers on my 9xx cards.

lilcinw

Distinguished
Jan 25, 2011

borandi

Distinguished
Jan 7, 2006
The main reason I stopped reading AnandTech was that their DailyTech feed had sponsored bloggers, some of whom were blogging about politically sensitive, non-computer related subjects. I felt like they were trading on AnandTech's reputation and leveraging its platform to support a political agenda I disagreed with. I did contact Kubicki and Anand about it. To his credit, they actually replied. This was many years ago, so maybe the situation has changed.

DailyTech is no longer on the AT front page - they were not part of the transition to Purch

jmjohnst

Distinguished
Nov 23, 2010
Whoever is in charge of this page should probably add the team number directly to the faq page. It took me way too long to locate it. I've been working under the wrong team number myself for a few weeks now.

Done and thank you for joining the team.

Titillating

Expert
Ambassador

Just remember, personal rigs only! No usage of company property for this; it'd be unfair :p

Huh? This is about trying to win by any and all means available and so if they're available then they should be pressed into service I reckon. :evil:

Status
Not open for further replies.