Provide internet to a router by an other router

Wassup Rocker

Reputable
Oct 11, 2014
Ok. And by using wifi ? if i have the ip of the router ? can i connect two router by wifi ? i'm surprised of that, basically if there is internet anyway where it from we can't anytime start from it. this means there is different level of internet provided .. is it an ip / dhcp question ? thanks

Taffu

Reputable
Oct 11, 2014

The router can't take internet by wifi, only ethernet cable. The router PROVIDES internet by wifi, it doesn't receive it.
What are you trying to accomplish with connecting the two routers?
Are you trying to expand your network?

Taffu

Reputable
Oct 11, 2014

If it's bridging, yes, I think this is what you're looking for:
http://www.cnet.com/how-to/reuse-an-old-router-to-bridge-devices-to-your-wireless-network/
It's a tutorial how to set a router to act as bridge

Wassup Rocker

Reputable
Oct 11, 2014
"You're now ready to connect your wired devices to the bridge router from anywhere in your home (within range of your primary router)." apparently, but i'm not sure, it seems that if i am in the same range of ip than the router, everybody will be able to see each other. that's what i want to avoid. so the unbridged mode seems to be the mode i'm looking for. the main problem is than on extending network we don't have the possibility to secure the network with ap isolation and unbridged mode (the last have to be confirm about security application). i was hopping that on dd wrt theres some possibility (maybe all after all). But, maybe the thing to set the router ip and all change something (or the extender do the same but recognize directly the ip on the ssid wifi of the router?) and permit others options. On dd wrt they are not responding, and there is no doc.

Taffu

Reputable
Oct 11, 2014

You want for the users connected to one router not be able to see the users connected on the other.

All you need to do is set the AP isolation on the main router, the clients connecting to the secondary router should also be affected, you need to at least check if that's the case.

edit: Also, it's really hard to read the walls of text... try pressing enter every now and then.

If you want to use a 2nd router to pass the signal along of another router, this is known as repeater mode, and most routers are capable of doing this. The detail is that it cuts the bandwidth in half as the repeater is both receiving and sending data, which is why it is preferable to have the second router wired to the network and to set it up as an access point.

Wassup Rocker

Reputable
Oct 11, 2014
So maybe the question is : Is it possible to pass the signal with a router as a repeater (now, i know it's possible, most of router have this option and some you can flash the firmware and you will have this option), but in a secure AND hidden mode ?

Two options :

- The First Option n°1 :

create a network shared with the repeater : all the computer connected by wifi thanks to the repeater, have the same internet identity. like everybody scanning the device connected will see only one : the repeater, who appear as doing itself the bandwitch use of the computer connected.

-------- > Maybe, i don't know, this is an option bridged/unbridged.

- The Second Option N°2 :

apply security and confidentiality mode of the router on the repeater mode : such as ap isolation.

------------> But i don't know if this is technically possible, as this option are for router and no for repeater basically. But maybe the option is possible also in repeater mode after all ?

- Maybe you have an other option ?

-----> My focus : when you connect device on a repeater, everybody connected can see everybody connected (such as computer name & ip, etc..) . I want create a kind of "network" after the repeater which is close from behind the repeater.

+++++ Mean if the other connected on the repeater can see each other, it's not essentialy a problem.
******************* But users connected directly to the main router have to see ONLY the repeater, and not all device connected to him.

Finally, some tell it's possible, some tell it's not. Maybe you can help me with this questions.

Thanks