proxy server settings won't change

Status
Not open for further replies.

Rafael Oliveira

Honorable
Aug 5, 2013
I need help really badly. For some reason my proxy server settings turned on and would not change. I've read that some programs would automatically turn the proxy server but I do not have any that would. Can somebody please help.

Solution

The answer is simpler than you might expect. It is not a virus, but a program that may have been downloaded that acted as the "administrator" and changed the proxy settings. Since your computer is not recognizing you as the "administrator," you simply have to tell it that you are and the Proxy settings will stay. Then your Internet Explorer or Chrome will work again.

I was going crazy with exactly the same issues as you and finally figured it out.

Explorer and Google use the same settings. So when...

You can read what's in the post I linked to in order to run the program (basically just find it on the disk directly), but why would you want to NOT re-install Windows when it's clearly infected with something, or was?

If you want to keep all your data safe, I recommend getting a new hard drive and installing Windows clean on that. You can put your existing drive in an external enclosure, just make sure you run a full virus scan with a few products on it before doing anything with the files on it.

thatanswerman

Reputable
Aug 1, 2014
i say you start computer over and go to safe mode with internet or network. Then you go to the proxy settings, and turn it off. double click LAN settings to see if its completley off. If it worked log off safe mode and enjoy your pc.

jianlossfei

Reputable
Aug 1, 2014
yes, Then you go to the proxy settings, and turn it off. double click LAN settings to see if its completley off. If it worked log off safe mode and enjoy your pc.
CYbOsn

ProfPatD

Reputable
Aug 20, 2014

The answer is simpler than you might expect. It is not a virus, but a program that may have been downloaded that acted as the "administrator" and changed the proxy settings. Since your computer is not recognizing you as the "administrator," you simply have to tell it that you are and the Proxy settings will stay. Then your Internet Explorer or Chrome will work again.

I was going crazy with exactly the same issues as you and finally figured it out.

Explorer and Google use the same settings. So when you change one, the other responds as well. The easiest way to fix this is in Explorer, but it you don't have that, you can do the same thing by going to the Google Chrome icon, right click and open it with "Run as Administrator." Then do the same things I did below from Chrome Settings If you don't know where to find this, the bar just below the top bar has see 3 horizontal lines. Click with left button, down to settings, then go to Advanced Settings towards the bottom to CHANGE PROXY SETTINGS. This brings up the same Setting Box as in Internet Explorer. Then follow instructions on "D".

A. If you have Internet Explorer, go to your icon for Internet Explorer on the Start Menu. Click on your right right mouse button and on the drop down menu, open it with "Run as Administrator."

B,. When you do this, then a box opens and it asks if you want this program to make changes to your computer. Click Yes. Then it opens Explorer.

C. Go up to the menu (If you don't see one, then click on gray bar just under the dark blue Internet Explorer Bar with your right mouse and check menu). On the Menu bar, go to Tools and then at the drop down menu, click on Internet Options.

D. Then select the tab, Connections, then LAN settings and REMOVE THE CHECK from USE PROXY SERVER and now CHECK AUTOMATICALLY DETECT SETTINGS. CLICK OK in LAN Setting Box and then OK in the final window. NOW IT WILL STAY since it now recognizes you as the Administrator.

All the best!

Patricia

Solution

pssys

Reputable
Sep 4, 2014

Hi all, I had the same problem. I was going crazy until I saw your post. I tried it and PRESTO it worked. Thank you very much.

catpissbw

Distinguished
Jan 20, 2008
I did a similar process. I actually created a shortcut to "internet options", found at "C:\Windows\System32\inetcpl.cpl" on my desktop. That way I could right click on it from there and tell it to run as administrator. I cant do that inside of the control panel. I could change the proxy settings and it would stay changed until I logged back on again.

princessbuttercup

Reputable
Oct 14, 2014
my issue stemmed from a virus i downloaded (several applications actually in one bundle). I removed these with a free program called AdwCleaner--use whatever you need to but this one removed all traces of the virus, including registry keys. http://www.bleepingcomputer.com/download/adwcleaner/
This still didn't fix the problem. I was able to change the setting in firefox easily, but anytime i tried chrome or IE it wouldn't stick. I uninstalled Chrome, right click on IE icon, run as administrator, and I believe the settings were already fixed. If not, I was finally able to uncheck the use proxy box and everything is working perfectly now.
So, step wise its like this:
1. Use firefox to access the internet (might need to go into settings and use no proxy setting)
2. Download this program to remove all traces of virus http://www.bleepingcomputer.com/download/adwcleaner/
3. Uninstall Chrome
4. Right click internet explorer icon, click "run as admin" and go into internet options settings and verify that Auto is checked and proxy is unchecked.
5. Do happy dance now that all is right in the world again. (and re-install chrome if you like!)

princessbuttercup

Reputable
Oct 14, 2014
Btw, I cant understand why someone would suggest doing a complete reboot of Windows to fix one tiny problem. Its so not worth losing all files, pictures, etc. Like killing a fly with a bazooka. Jus sayin!!!

Bryan G

Distinguished
Jan 29, 2009

Agreed, very irresponsible, bad advice, but you mean "reload", not "reboot".
There are many things that should be tried before reloading windows. I did the safemode method and it worked, I'm sure running IE as admin would have worked, but I didn't see that post until I was already done.
Now I'm cleaning the computer with malwarebytes, then superantispyware, then an anti-rootkit scanner, then after a few more anti-malware programs I'll do a full scan with my anti-virus and I should be clean. If that doesn't work, then I'll consider a reload.

Uptown Video

Reputable
Oct 30, 2014

Did you ever solve this problem? I have the same thing with Explorer and Chrome (can't turn off use proxy)...My Firefox allowed me to turn off the proxy settings, but IE and Chrome will not...I only have FF to get online currently...I really could use some help too. I am running Windows 8.1 on my Dell laptop....Thanks...Philip

Singofluv

Reputable
Dec 10, 2014
I have been searching for a slightly different fix for weeks! None of the other explanations mentioned the administrator part. That must have been the key to my problems. THANK YOU!!!

Arup Deb

Reputable
Dec 28, 2014

calabreb

Reputable
Dec 30, 2014
Patricia - thanks much! Run as Admin cleared up this problem for me (Win 8.1) in an instant!

Going to throw myself on my sword so others can learn from my stupidity.... I went looking for a "free" version of Microsoft Works for a PC I am setting up for my niece. Found one but not at Microsoft. I was suspicious but went ahead with the download figuring I'm a big boy, I can select all the right stuff so no "extras" get loaded and if anything sneaks in, I know how to get rid of it. Well, I ended up with about a dozen (let's be kind and call them) "apps" that I did not want. Some went away very easily in Control Panel Uninstall. Others did not. On a subsequent reboot, not only were the stubborn ones still there but the ones I removed were back and some new ones had made an entrance! I used an assortment of Control Panel Uninstal, REGEDIT, Norton Utilities and even renaming folders in Program Files to make it go completely away, or so I thought. Somewhere in the middle of the process both Firefox & IE stopped working. Firefox allowed me to correct the connection but IE would not. And apparently being Win 8.1 this meant other than Firefox, nothing on the machine could "see" the internet. I was locked on a proxy setting for 127.0.0.1:49337 and every time I told IE to automatically detect settings, it would go back. Then Patricia saved the day!

Long story short, when you download from a "free" download site, be ready to get a boatload of extra "goodies." I knew better and did it anyway and paid the price.

Kapmaster

Reputable
Jan 3, 2015

Outstanding Patricia! It works. I followed your instruction using Google.

N_

Reputable
Jan 5, 2015

Moonfly9

Reputable
Jan 6, 2015

You're amazing Patricia!! My uncle had this issue and I was able to resolve it using your advice! TY

Status
Not open for further replies.

TRENDING THREADS