Question PRV error on a dell t3500

Oct 4, 2021
so basically i have had this computer for a good time amd i was very satisfied but recently the psu got faulty so one of my friends had a extra psu he gave it to me
Now after installing the new psu i am getting this PRV error accordig to the diagnostics light on the fromt panel (1,3,4 with green) and what happends is that it will start then stop after a few seconds with the PRV error(no display at this point) and it will keep doing this for a good amount of time and sometimes start it self other times i will just wind up frustrated go do smth else then come back and it will start working normally for the first start and then sstart going into the boot loop again i tried researching prv error on google but i have no luck also when ut starts it works perfectly fine

Some times it starts if i remove and reinsert any wire or component

Also when its in the boot loop it doesnt give any beep error(like if i remove all rams it will keep boot looping until it decides to actually bootup and them give me the beep error)

Oct 4, 2021
So what was the wattage/make/model of the old psu and now the new psu?
the old one was the default 525w psu that came with the t3500
the new one is a thermaltake smart 600 w 80 plus bronze
I think 134 may be not all power plugs are in correctly or missing correct power rail power. Check all your connectors to make sure you have 24 pin, cpu pin etc in all the way. Or it may not be a compatible psu.
ironically i am writing this reply from the same computer that i am discussing in the thread
if it were loose connections it would have never left the boot loop stage but luckily after quite some time it does boot up
also i am think this psu do have some problems as my putting more than 1 hdd on the sata series (i think thats what its supposed to be called) the hdd fails to load
Also Prv for your pc means pre video activity, which means anything going on before your video is turned on.
i find it weird as it doesn't keep the on stage of the computer if it were like doing some checks and if it was completely broken it should have never left the boot loop

Oct 4, 2021
monitoring the stats of the computer everything is pretty normal also i think i can preserver this stable state if i depend on restart feature only

gonna try and see boot logs and update you if i see anything weird

the old one was the default 525w psu that came with the t3500
the new one is a thermaltake smart 600 w 80 plus bronze

ironically i am writing this reply from the same computer that i am discussing in the thread
if it were loose connections it would have never left the boot loop stage but luckily after quite some time it does boot up
also i am think this psu do have some problems as my putting more than 1 hdd on the sata series (i think thats what its supposed to be called) the hdd fails to load

i find it weird as it doesn't keep the on stage of the computer if it were like doing some checks and if it was completely broken it should have never left the boot loop
Yes the part where you said if you remove a wire, or component it will start sometimes is a clue I think. What component other than the mentioned hd, or wire did you try removing and it started up?

Oct 4, 2021
Yes the part where you said if you remove a wire, or component it will start sometimes is a clue I think. What component other than the mentioned hd, or wire did you try removing and it started up?
I removed every thing and started adding them in the first boot loop was on the cpu 8pin slot also the boot loop was very short like it strted after 2-3 times

Starting to think its a motherboard or psu problem

Last edited:

sunnytoday

Commendable
Sep 26, 2019
I was under the impression that only std Dell PSU could be used on a T3500 , as the connectors and wiring are not exactly ATX std . why did you not use a dell PSU