Ps/2 keyboard not working on windows 8

brendanm

Honorable
Oct 27, 2013
Hello, I just built a new computer and I bought windows 8.1 and after installation everything was fine, I downloaded the drivers for the motherboard. And I took to my room so I can use the internet and I can't login because the keyboard won't work.. My usb mouse will though. The keyboard will work in bios but not the login screen.I have no other keyboards.

Solution
looks like its a Windows 8.1 issue disabling the ps2 support process when detecting a usb device but the keyboard will still work in bios.

http://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/windows_8-hardware/bug-windows-8-ps2-keyboard-not-detected-after/902dc219-6f43-479a-b129-94d4e3985947

People have been going to HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SYSTEM\CurrentControlSet\Services\i8042prt and editing the Startvalue and set it to a hex or decimal value from 0 of 1 so the ps2 service will then should continue to run after rebooting.

But this will be a bit hard if you cannot use the keyboard to even edit, so maybe what i suggest doing will work.

Try logging into windows just with the mouse, either through with no password or Safemode, if you can...

boju

Titan
Ambassador
looks like its a Windows 8.1 issue disabling the ps2 support process when detecting a usb device but the keyboard will still work in bios.

http://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/windows_8-hardware/bug-windows-8-ps2-keyboard-not-detected-after/902dc219-6f43-479a-b129-94d4e3985947

People have been going to HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SYSTEM\CurrentControlSet\Services\i8042prt and editing the Startvalue and set it to a hex or decimal value from 0 of 1 so the ps2 service will then should continue to run after rebooting.

But this will be a bit hard if you cannot use the keyboard to even edit, so maybe what i suggest doing will work.

Try logging into windows just with the mouse, either through with no password or Safemode, if you can, just need to get in somehow without keyboard. Open calculator using mouse, click on decimal 1, hopefully you can right click the number and copy. Go to that key string in the registry - edit the 0 value and paste to replace value with the number 1 you copied from calculator - or anything else that has a number 1 you can copy for that matter.

This all depending if you can log in of course, otherwise really no other choice i know of but to use a usb adapter or usb keyboard.

Solution

Richman_32

Honorable
May 29, 2012

We are talking about PS2 here and as far as I know PS2 has NEVER been made Plug-n-Play. Even in Windows 8. So Auto-detect is out of the question.

I for one don't see an issue changing the reg value with only a keyboard. A pc can be used all day long without a mouse.

However, when I navigate to that reg entry the value on my Windows 8 machine is already set to 3 in stead of assumed default of 0.
I am not sure what a value of 3 means. Does it mean that 3 PS2 devices can be used? Is it better than a value of 1 or 2 Or should it be changed back to 1 as suggested.

vgmaxx

Reputable
Jun 20, 2014

Open regedit, go to HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SYSTEM\CurrentControlSet\Services\i8042prt
Open start and change to hexa value 0
Worked with me, hope it works for u too :D

thabed007

Commendable
Jul 15, 2016

hi and thx for this tip, here's my contribution to it, in order to be able to type with your mouse, right click on your task bar, choose "show touch keyboard button", a keyboard icon should appear in the bottom right corner, click it!

Mustak

Prominent
Mar 13, 2017
>> Open Notepad

>> Paste below text

Windows Registry Editor Version 5.00

[HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SYSTEM\CurrentControlSet\Services\i8042prt]
"Start"=dword:00000000

>> Save it to desktop( in Save dialog box, Name it like "ps2keyboard.reg", with quotes)

>> Exit Notepad

>> Go to desktop >> right click on "ps2keyboard.reg" >> Select "Merge" option. done...!!!

if you cant do above step then download below file, then "Merge" via above step to registry...

https://drive.google.com/open?id=0B_UHQ6TG5Y9EczJONGJZd1RuLU0