PS/2 Mouse Problem

raylee011

Distinguished
Dec 31, 2007
My friend just brought a PS/2 mouse with roller. Because he was using a serial mouse before, he brought a adapter so that he can connect his new PS/2 mouse into the Serial Port. When he turn it on, the computer won't recoganize it. What could be the problem. Later, he found a PS/2 port. Let me back up a little. He is currently connecting 2 printers on his computer. One regular printer connected to the onboard Parallel port and the other one (Fax 3in1) is connected to a Add-on Parallel port PCI card. I think the PS/2 port came with the Parallel port PCI card. Now, his PS/2 mouse is working. But the computer is not recoganizing the Fax 3in1 machine. What could be wrong? I think it is because of the IRQ address. What do you think.

Crashman

Polypheme
Former Staff
The PS/2 mouse port is probably on a slot cover with the printer port, and both are likeley cabled directly to the motherboard, and should be on seperate IRQ's. Look in Device Manger and make sure that his printer port is set to IRQ7 and nothing else. If he needs another IRQ he can go into BIOS and disable the com port he used to use.

Cast not thine pearls before the swine