Question PS2 displaying in only black & white through composite cable

gear999

Distinguished
Jun 19, 2014
Hello people,

I haven't been on this website in a while again, and I've come crawling back because I'm stumped about a Playstation 2 AV issue and none of the solutions already posted online have worked for me.

I have a modchipped European slim PS2 that was given to me by a friend when I was visiting Turkey, and I've brought it back with me to Canada to play some old games and maybe even burn my own discs for it. I bought a composite cable for it today (since I forgot the original cable back in Turkey) and finally got around to hooking it up, only for it to display black and white with a grainy image quality.

I had initially plugged it in wrong as my TV supports both component and composite AV cables, and I had my audio cables plugged into the PBr jacks or whatever they are. I tried moving all the cables around to a bunch of different slots until I checked my TV's user manual to confirm how to plug in a composite cable with the three yellow, white and red ends.

I now have all my cables plugged in correctly as per the manual, made sure that I was in" Video" input mode and not "Component" input, and also made sure the PS2 itself was set to RGB display output in the BIOS settings. None of this has worked. I get the audio fine but no matter what I do I just cannot get it to display with colors properly. My TV does report that it's on 576i when on the PS2 input, if that makes a difference.

My TV is a Sony Bravia KDL-40R550C, so it's an older TV that supports both composite and component signals through one video jack (at least according to the manual). I've tried messing with its settings but it barely has any settings on the AV front, so I'm at a loss on what to do. I don't know if it's because there's a setting I can't find, or if the cable itself is faulty, or if the PS2 got damaged in some way during the return trip, or if it's because it's a chipped Euro PS2 being plugged into a North American TV.

Any input would be greatly appreciated. Apologies for the long winded explanation. I'm just frustrated because I was excited to finally get it set up after finding a cable, only for it to be stuck in black and white.

gear999

Distinguished
Jun 19, 2014
I forgot to mention that it was working perfectly back in Turkey on a TV I had there. I was playing Midnight Club 3 just fine. The cable is an original PS2 composite cable that I bought from a pawn shop today. It looks basically brand new. There is currently no possibility of getting the old cable sent to me unless I can instruct one of my dad's completely tech unsavvy friends to somehow find it and ship it out to me, and even then I'm not sure if it'd be worth the cost.

gear999

Distinguished
Jun 19, 2014
I'm fairly certain it is PAL over there, so I don't know if me having a North American NTSC TV and composite cable would make any difference. I kinda doubt it, but I don't know for sure which is why I'm here.

If it's PAL over there the usual outcome is if you play it on NTSC you get black and white.

Even if it's just a PAL game on a NTSC system. Or is your system a PAL system modded to play NTSC games. There are work arounds but above my pay grade.

Although your modded system should have a work around that should have made out of region games work but wondering was the mod to make NTSC games play on a PAL system.

So I asked my son and he asked if you have a PAL TV , Yes you said yours is most likely NTSC.
So.

https://www.amazon.com/Converter-Mu...2905bf5e8ae634a996ce6e1e527590d6&gad_source=1

Reactions: gear999

gear999

Distinguished
Jun 19, 2014
That's what I feared. I was hoping there wouldn't be much of a difference in terms of output but that does make sense. I'll grab one of those PAL to NTSC converters soon. Thanks for the answers guys!

Reactions: stonecarver