[SOLVED] PS2 to USB

May 4, 2021
I've been trying to connect up these PS2 Steering wheel wires to the usb device thingy that I have, but this wheel is 10+ years old, so the colouring of the wires has changed I think and I can't simply figure out which wire do I connect to which port, because the sources I've been using say different colour for different wire, so I'm really confused and lost.

Can someone please tell me, in which order do I need to tin the wires?

My wheel has the following colours: Brown - White - Orange - Red - Blue - Yellow - Violet
The USB thingy has written on it from left to right: DT - DO - +5V - GND - VCC - CS - CLK

I know for a fact that brown is data, the first slot from the left, rest I'm just super confused..

here's the sources ive used + pic on the right is what im confused about:

THHHD1l.png

Solution
Connecting PS2 directly to USB will not work. At least you figured out that you must have PS2 to USB adapter by yourself. Good.

The trick is that USB adapter circuit is located inside PS2 connector. Which make USB adapter mutilation stupid and unnecessary. You either must repair your game controller original PS2 connector or get some PS2 extender cable, cut off required connector with a piece of cable and solder new connector cable wires to proper wires in game controller cable.

Now get a multimeter, switch into continuity mode and check which wire from broken original PS2 connector match to particular wire in cable that you did cut earlier.

Lutfij

Titan
so the colouring of the wires has changed I think
Yes they have, surely after a decade.

Might I ask what the make and model of your wheel is? I don't think wiring the device in the right order is going to be the main concern. I doubt after a decade the device will operate on Windows 10 or a prior OS. You could force the driver install and then run the device in compatibility mode but your mileage can and will vary.

May 4, 2021
so the colouring of the wires has changed I think
Yes they have, surely after a decade.

Might I ask what the make and model of your wheel is? I don't think wiring the device in the right order is going to be the main concern. I doubt after a decade the device will operate on Windows 10 or a prior OS. You could force the driver install and then run the device in compatibility mode but your mileage can and will vary.

The wheel model is JoyTech JS-507 (It's almost impossible to find anything on it, atleast by my researches)

It originally had an PS2 in plug and I ordered PS2 > USB adapter (It has a built in driver, that is also the usb thingy that I mentioned on my post, I just took it apart) from Amazon to see maybe it would work, it did, but one of functions didnt work properly and upon closer inspection, I noticed that one of the pins on my wheel plug was pushed really in, so I cut off the plug to try to just wire it together myself

Connecting PS2 directly to USB will not work. At least you figured out that you must have PS2 to USB adapter by yourself. Good.

The trick is that USB adapter circuit is located inside PS2 connector. Which make USB adapter mutilation stupid and unnecessary. You either must repair your game controller original PS2 connector or get some PS2 extender cable, cut off required connector with a piece of cable and solder new connector cable wires to proper wires in game controller cable.

Now get a multimeter, switch into continuity mode and check which wire from broken original PS2 connector match to particular wire in cable that you did cut earlier.

Reactions: lostguy2000
Solution