PS3 3.42 Firmware Update Stops Jailbreaking

Page 2 - Seeking answers? Join the Tom's Hardware community: where nearly two million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.
Status
Not open for further replies.

tota

Distinguished
Aug 19, 2010
The main issue is not to pirate or not to pirate.
-Remember DRM malware Sony invented for CDs?
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Sony_BMG_CD_copy_protection_scandal

The problem is that Sony is again pirating a device that was announced as being able to run Linux ("other OS" option now removed).
The user has the right to use a device in any way he pleases.
They have no right to handle law in their own hands.
Sony has a terrible reputation for taking more time and resources trying to avoid piracy instead of inovating and taking good profit of their innovations - I still remember that in a time of 1,4MB media they didn't adapt the minidisk (1992) for computer use in time. They were so worried in protecting their copyright (and dificulting the users creativity and work) that they forgot to earn millions selling their awsome hardware. It's a pitty and a waste...
... and that's why I don't buy a PS3 to play the 2 or 3 games that I would play, and that I can buy anyway. I don't care to pirate so few games. It's just useless!
So, I advise Sony to continue their DRM battle until they get ruined.
Thank you Sony!

back_by_demand

Splendid
BANNED
Jul 16, 2009
[citation][nom]crus_russ[/nom]Its funny people gave you so many thumbs down. I gave you thumbs up. Piracy is the reason no one makes PC games anymore.[/citation]
Err, there are nearly 2500 games on Steam and that's not the only way to get PC games.
Exactly who is this "no-one"

Sony's suit was to just keep the USB stick jailbreak out of the market long enough for a bios fix. Bet this was way bluray 3D support was pushed to a later date. In the end the jailbreak just cost the PS3 owners.

Stifle

Distinguished
Aug 30, 2010
Sounds like some people will be taking their PS3s offline for about a month or so. . .

We all know that this will not work out in Sony's favor. There are too many smart people that have nothing better to do than to wreck their DRM.

atikkur

Distinguished
Apr 27, 2010
get the other way to battle piracy other than protecting.. maybe pricing or other attractiveness side of thing. btw.. i hate sonys game..

canesin

Distinguished
Jul 7, 2010
If I was sony.. I would let it go, leave the PS3 sales skyrocket and them, after one year do that.. It will be much more profitable.

BluntObjection

Distinguished
Jul 13, 2009
[citation][nom]carlhenry[/nom]wash rinse and dry. it's always discouraging when pirating AGAIN becomes an issue. i guess devs should look into PC's again since every console is now hackable.[/citation]

True, but its easier to catch and ban modded consoles off an online environment that it is to do the same for a PC. Which, puts the PC at odds with the dev community. I guess thats just the price of freedom though...The more open ended a system is or can be. The more someone wants to put a restriction on it.

COLGeek

Cybernaut
I can't believe that some of you think that pirating will improve console sales. Are you kidding? Do you have a clue how Sony, MS, Nintendo, etc. make money with their products? BTW, no cash flow, means no consoles.

If you are going to play a game, do it legally. Don't snivel when a company plugs a hole to prevent illegally procured games to run on their platforms.

Unbelieveable that some feel entitled to break the rules. Think about your logic, please.

n3uromancer

Distinguished
Aug 27, 2009
SONY is insane.
To be so stupid and not allow jailbreak, means that they really DO believe that the popularity of PS2 console was due to it's "awesomeness" and not to the fact that you could "mod" it to play copies.
That is, to put it mildly, moronic. PS3 sales ROCKETED in these few days when the jailbreak mod was possible. Does that tell them something?

n3uromancer

Distinguished
Aug 27, 2009
[citation][nom]COLGeek[/nom]I can't believe that some of you think that pirating will improve console sales. Are you kidding?[/citation]
No, we are not, and, yes - IT DOES.[citation] Do you have a clue how Sony, MS, Nintendo, etc. make money with their products? [/citation] Yes, they sell consoles, they get money. What do you think, they sold so many PS2 consoles in poorer parts of the globe because it was "so cool" or because it was cheaper to "mod" it, get pirated games and keep your kid quiet?
[citation] BTW, no cash flow, means no consoles.If you are going to play a game, do it legally.[/citation]
Then cut the prices of new games to a reasonable level (half the amount they are now) and STOP SHOVELING MONEY! COD-MW2 earnings alone could feed a third world country for a year, and they even did not pay the programmers.[citation] Don't snivel when a company plugs a hole to prevent illegally procured games to run on their platforms.Unbelieveable that some feel entitled to break the rules. Think about your logic, please.[/citation]
You think about mine for a sec.

COLGeek

Cybernaut

Where are your facts to back up your claims? Also, a large portion of console game sales is in terms of licensing of products to work on a particular platform. The majority of cash flow is a result of those fees between game developers and the console companies. The money isn't in the platform, it is in the game.

Your logic is flawed.

hillarymakesmecry

Distinguished
Feb 24, 2009
EA & BLIZ/ACR don't really make all that much money. They're public companies. Look at their earnings. Pretty sure EA has been losing money for years. BLIZACT barely turned out a profit recently.

Revenue does NOT equal earnings.

kartu

Distinguished
Mar 3, 2009
[citation][nom]COLGeek[/nom]I can't believe that some of you think that pirating will improve console sales. Are you kidding? Do you have a clue how Sony, MS, Nintendo, etc. make money with their products?[/citation]
Funny that you mentioned Sony, MS and Nintendo as one group. They make money in a different way:

Nintendo: mostly making money on hardware, Nintendo users don't buy many
games.
MS & Sony: make money on software, sometimes subsidize consoles (anyway for both consoles this is not the case anymore)

Things to note are, Microsoft's box was hacked ages ago, yet they sell roughly as many games as Sony (they've sold only slightly more consoles then Sony, but they've also banned gazzilion of them), the number is roughly 100 million games annually.

So I don't get why all the "piracy" hysteria, MS learned to live with it, so has Sony. There is no clear evidence that hacking console does substantial harm.

COLGeek

Cybernaut
So, a model based on theft is a good thing. That is the position many of you support?

I understand the various revenue models of the console vendors, but their models are based on honest trade.

You really need to think, objectively, on where you fall in this argument (this is directed at no single individual, but is more of a generic talking point). You either do the right thing, or you don't. There is no middle ground to justify theft here, none.

tota

Distinguished
Aug 19, 2010
Most people will have to agree that:
1- Games are too expensive, specialy on low income countrys
2- Game industry must do profit
3- Domestic copy may serve as a medium of publicity
4- Professional illegal copy is doing a real big damage,
but what some seem to miss is that:
5- DRM is like if the state had put a chain with a ball in everyone's feet so the ones who were robbers could not run from the police.
It could be efective for police action, but a little inconvenient for everything else...

g00fysmiley

Distinguished
Apr 30, 2010
like i said earlier when they pushed back 3d blueray support, they wanted this update out first. kinda sucks in a way, i don't pirate but wouldn't mind being able to completely load games to the hdd of my ps3, that way if i decide to go from borderlands to tekken or something i don't have to actually get up... but the effort to mod the conole was mor than i was willing to put in either... wow i'm pretty lazy for a guys who runs 5k a day come to think of it >_

COLGeek

Cybernaut

If we didn't have robbers, we wouldn't have balls and chains (DRM).

Other than DRM preventing the local duplication of media for legitimate backup purposes (which I agree users should be allowed to do), what harm does DRM pose for the legal use of products? Not looking for rants. Just facts.

ntrceptr

Distinguished
Jan 26, 2006
Copy protection is a waste of the developers time and money. Sure dont make it easy to copy but don't spend countless resources trying to prevent it. It has never fully worked and never will. Copy protect has always failed since the days of the Commodore/Atari. Invest that time a money into the game/software itself. Also, open up the PS3 for anyone to develop on. Start up and App store, make more money, make more people happy. An open system would spark creativity. Seems like a no brainer to me. But I guess big business is like politics, they always do whatever makes the least sense.

Status
Not open for further replies.