Ps3 -> MoBo -> Screen issue

Sokre

Reputable
Oct 24, 2014
My girlfriend and I have the same PC build (only difference is wifi cards). I'm trying to run a ps3 through the pc's mother board (Fatal1ty ASROCK z87killer) which has an hdmi in port. This works on my pc, to my hdmi screen; however on her pc, which uses a vga screen, it wont work. On my pc I just press alt+c and my display switches to the ps3 view, but on her pc the screen goes black and then reappears with the pc screen. Basically, I guess can a ps3 go from HDMI -> motherboard -> VGA screen?

Solution
I'm guessing that HDMI INPUT just works by routing the signal back through HDMI OUTPUT so you can toggle between the input and your normal PC's output.

Her VGA output is unlikely to be connected to the HDMI input. Your MANUAL would likely clarify this (for motherboard).

It's likely you'll need a different screen, and if you do that I suggest one that supports both the PC and PS3 into the monitor itself so you can just switch inputs at the monitor since that works without the PC on and I'm guessing your current method does not. You'd need to account for the AUDIO path as well.
I'm guessing that HDMI INPUT just works by routing the signal back through HDMI OUTPUT so you can toggle between the input and your normal PC's output.

Her VGA output is unlikely to be connected to the HDMI input. Your MANUAL would likely clarify this (for motherboard).

It's likely you'll need a different screen, and if you do that I suggest one that supports both the PC and PS3 into the monitor itself so you can just switch inputs at the monitor since that works without the PC on and I'm guessing your current method does not. You'd need to account for the AUDIO path as well.

Solution