PS3 Now Has Ability to Play 3D Blu-ray Movies

Page 2 - Seeking answers? Join the Tom's Hardware community: where nearly two million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.
Status
Not open for further replies.

g00fysmiley

Distinguished
Apr 30, 2010
translation.. we patched to disable the ps3 crack and held this function off until we could make sure it was patched therefore brickign consoles workign outside our rules.

i dont' have a 3d tv with no plans to get one but i can't use my ps3 with newer games without destroying my other os function ... i think i'll pass on playstation next gen sonsoles

G

Actually, the PS3 can do Full HD 3D except for the menus at the moment. However, it won't be able to pass ethernet connectivity over HDMI (that's HDMI 1.4). But it is able to due 1080p24 (which majority of Bluray movies are). If you want 60fps then it goes to 720p, but that is the same for HDMI 1.4. 60fps in 1080 would then be 1080i60, again the same for HDMI 1.4. HDMI 1.3 has enough bandwidth to broadcast the 3d signal, you just need the right cables. Just don't pass it through a receiver that isn't HDMI 1.4 or 3d ready, otherwise the 3d won't work unless you connect it directly to the TV. Some sites have already proved that the PS3 can do full HD 3D.

Trialsking

Distinguished
Mar 2, 2007
[citation][nom]christarp[/nom]My god the comments make me feel like im in 7th grade all over again.[/citation]

I teach 7th grade, and you are definitely correct, they would fit well in my 7th grade class. My 7th graders also agree that 3D is lame and will die quite death soon.

RabidFace

Distinguished
Nov 18, 2009
I just want some type of integration with the Internet and the PSN so I can view my PSN messages online. It's already being done with Socom: Confrontation. Granted it's an in-game message system, you can still view private messages on the Socom website.

PSN integrated with Facebook so you can view your PSN online?

killerb255

Distinguished
Jul 20, 2006
[citation][nom]helldog3105[/nom]I have the old fat PS3, but I have to ask, do the new slims and other PS3's no longer support backwards compatibility at all? So you have to have a PS3 and a PS2 to play all the old catalog games? Just curious. That seems rather bad considering how hard they pushed in the beginning about how important backwards compatibility was for the PS3.[/citation]

All PS3s can play PS1 games, even the new ones.

The first gen phat PS3s (first 20GB and 60GB models) can play PS2 games with hardware/emotion engine built-in.

One of the second gen phat PS3s (first 80GB model) can play PS2 games with software emulation. The other second-gen (first 40GB model) can't play PS2 games at all.

All other PS3 models cannot play PS2 games.

...which is why I bought my PS3 on Amazon for about $400. That's pretty much the price of a current PS3 (160 GB model?) + a PS2 anyway...

G

I see many of the problems that all of you guys are refering to. By the end of the year most new DVDs are supposed to be coming in blu ray and 3d formats. Also tv providers are starting to broadcast certain channels in 3d. I can't remember which ones exactly. Later on down the road when 3d becomes a little more common and easy to use the more other people will pick up the 3d idea and hopefully it will spread. I'm looking forward to watching all my movies and playing all my games and even watching regular tv on my 73 inch Mitsubishi tv. Also does anyone out there know if you need special hook ups for the ps3 3d compatibility or do u just need a hdmi cable and also would you need 3d glasses that are compatible with your tv or would it be with an adapter u need or will ps3 be making some or what?

quantyoda

Distinguished
Nov 1, 2010
I'm not sure what all the fuss is about. If you don't like the added capability then don't use it. I see a lot of buyers remorse from people who just bought TV's that are not 3D capable and are mad they missed the new technology. 3D from the past was crap compared to the new technology so making that comparison is just ridiculous. And if you say that not enough 3D media is available then you are repeating the arguments of the past concerning HDTV, DVDs, blu-rays, etc.. That's just a part of new technology. All I know are the 3D movies released in theaters are a lot more fun to watch if done right than the 2D version. That doesn't mean you have to watch every movie or TV show in 3D.

G

Stop whinning about buying a 3D TV. This is friggin sweet. Games in 3D and now I don't have to pay big bucks for a 3D player. You can get a 65" 3D TV from Mitsubushi for $899. Thats cheaper then most LCD or normal HDTV's. I just got my 65" 3D TV and this setup is amazing.

G

is it okay that i got a 3d led because it cost less than a regular led tv and plus i recieved a free 3d starter kit and 3d blueray home theatre system with the purchase of this tv. lol only reason why i went 3d

G

false its 2012 and my ps3 will not play a 3D blu ray dvd... am i doing something wrong?

Status
Not open for further replies.